Can I sue a apartment complex if I was never told about a bed bug history?

I just recently moved into a apartment and apparently there was a bed bug infestation the previous year. I was never informed of the past infestation and current tenants have claimed that the bugs are still there. Location is New York State. 

• Sally

yes.  You can sue anyone for any reason

NO. They are not legally required to tell you about the unit's history in most states.  Renting IS NOT like buying. Landlord's are required to tell you very little. 

They have done what they are legally required to do which is treat the infestation. 

I think you could have asked if there was any problems with where you would be living before moving there. I met a man who lives in an apartment. I watched a video of a cockroach climb on one of his walls. I remember his landlord calling in someone to check his bed, for bed bugs, and I think he might have had it. I was told that he bought a new bed, but it was, for a child, and he broke it because he is a full grown adult.

Before moving into something, you should ask questions.

My answer to your question is no.

Claimed they are still there or they are still there? Very different.

• Maxi

You can sue anyone for anything......... you will not win anything........ if you have bed bugs then you have to request in writing treatment as what happened in the past or what other tenants say means nothing at all

Are the bed bugs still there?

Generally they wouldn't need to tell you about a previous infestation if it had been treated. If it's still there, or it has returned, you need to inform your landlord (in writing); they are then required to take action accordingly.

You can sue anyone for anything. Zero chance of winning unless you have something in writing guaranteeing it.

you can try to sue them, ive had that issue myself in my building, had to get the place heat treated and sprayed 5 times, had to get rid of my bed and couch, i dont have them anymore but i now sleep on an airbed, on purpose cause i got tired of them living on my mattress or the cushions on the couch, never replaced the couch, havent seen them in over a yr and a half

• Judy

Not sue and win...............

only if you have a signed contract indicating there is no history of bed bugs.