Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 3 weeks ago

What does it mean if a doctor asks you to fill out advance directive?

I took my 73 year old grandma to the doctor and he asked her to fill out an advance directive. Does this mean he thinks she is in bad health or going to die?

When do doctors decide it’s a good time fo give a patient an advanced directive? If a healthy 75 year old comes in is that appropriate? 

Best Answer

It really just means that the doctor knows the wishes of the elderly patient and those wishes will be followed no matter what distraught family members might want.

These things are usually signed BEFORE the elderly person is facing a life ending medical crisis.  These things are usually determined at a point when the patient is still in fairly decent health and still has good mental capacity to make these choices for themselves.

It is NOT an indication of "bad news".  

My mother lived another 20 years after signing her advance directive.

It's not inappropriate.

It's a good thing for a person to have in their life. Defined: a written statement of a person's wishes regarding medical treatment, often including a living will, made to ensure those wishes are carried out should the person be unable to communicate them to a doctor.

It means she has a very good doctor that is thinking about more than just performing a checkup.  The office where i go asks all patients to complete an advance directive form.  Everyone should have one regardless of age.  The only time one is actually needed is when you are unable to make decisions for yourself, so if you wait until you need it, it will never get done.

No, it means that she's older, not necessarily that she's sick. Being old is a major risk factor for sudden death or a severe acute illness. Healthcare providers and family members should know what she wants if she needs CPR, or ends up in a ventilator or needs to be intubated.

• helene

It means your doctor is following some rules that were put in place during the last decade.

My mother-in-law is in assisted living and was REQUIRED to visit a doctor to discuss advance directives. 

Me, I just get questions about whether I own guns and if my husband beats me.

It's just a rule.  Over a certain age, doctors are supposed to ask you about your advance directive.  Statistically, most people over 75 eventually die.

I think one of the most important things is DNR.  Do Not Resuscitate. If you check this box, they will just let you die peacefully.  Otherwise, they have to do all they can to keep you alive, and you could spend 20 years in a vegetative state.