Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 3 weeks ago

I had a misscarriage and currently pregnant again. Should I tell my 5 year old were expecting again?

We had a misscarriage at 18 weeks and 5 days 6 months ago. It was out 3rd pregnancy and like everyone else my 5 year old daughter was so excited. When we lost the baby she went into a shock first, then when she realized what was going on she started expressing how sad she was, and that she missed her brother in heaven, and she started telling me she wanted another baby. She loves her brother but something about the baby we lost made her so happy because she was actually old enough to realize what was going on. I am currently 12 weeks pregnant, and my daughter is such a smart girl, I'm already starting to show because I am a slim person and I feel like I cant fool her for that long. I was planning to tell her at 20 weeks, but Indont know if she deserves to know about this baby. She keeps telling me that she wants another sibling and she tells me how shes been praying to God so he sends us another baby. Should I tell her or just wait until we are past the risk period?

• Cammie

A five year old has no idea that a larger tummy means a baby. She probably won't even notice.Don't mention this until much further along.Kids this age don't really understand how long a week is.20 weeks is still only half way there.Maybe wait until the fetus is viable.25 weeks or so.I wish you the very best .

• sarah

If you're 12 weeks along, you're already past the risk period. I would say that it just depends on your daughter and whether you think she could emotionally handle things if, God forbid, this pregnancy ended with no baby. You're her mama; you know her better than anyone, so as unhelpful as it sounds (sorry, lol), I think it's really up to you.

From the sound of it, you're doing a wonderful job and raising a brilliant little lady. Congrats on your pregnancy, and I hope everything goes well! :)

• Byrd

No doubt you prompted her behavior. Wait till it's closer she's only 5!!

• Jessica3 weeks agoReport

We just never thought that would ever loose a baby. My other 2 pregnancies were so easy and they were both full term.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Once you hit 12wks miscarriage is rare. I've had 3 miscarriages so understand your fear and worry. My first child was around 3-4 when I lost my babies and it upset her a lot each time. My daughter too often prayed for mommy to have another baby and asked others in the church to pray too so I've been there. But, I still think my daughter due to her age fully didn't understand everything. Honestly, if I was you I'd wait. Let others know you don't want her to know just yet until you hit 20wks. If she does notice or asks just give her short to the point questions, let her lead what you tell her.

• Jessica3 weeks agoReport

because when all 4 of us are in bed I always protect my Belly or when she wants to throw herself on top of me my husband prevents her from it. So she suspects what's going on but, you're right were only 8 weeks away from the 20 so we'll probably wait. 

• mokrie

I would tell her and say if God wants us to get this baby then we will. But God may need another angel so he might keep it. We have to wait and see.