What is Symbiosis? What is Mutualism, Predation, Commendalism, Parasitism, and Competition?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • MARK
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Symbiosis is a close relationship between two organisms. Often in these relationships one of the organisms live on or in the other. Mutualism, commensalism and parasitism are all examples of different kinds of symbiosis.

In mutualism both organisms benefit from the relationship. For example, bacteria living in the gut benefit from being there but also produce vitamin K which of benefit to the host because it is important for blood clotting.

Parasitism could be viewed as the opposite of mutualism, in that one organism benefits (the parasite) and the other is harmed (the host). An example of a parasite would be any virus that causes disease or a nematode that has invaded its host's body.

In commensalism one organism benefits (the commensal) and the other organism (the host) neither benefits nor is harmed. For example, various fungi that are found on human skin are commensals.

Predation and competition are not symbiotic relationships. Predation is where one animal (the predator) actively hunts, captures, kills and eats another animal (the prey). An example would be lions (predator) hunting, catching, killing and eating a zebra (the prey).

Competition is a very broad topic in ecology. It can be intraspecific, i.e. between members of the same species, or it may be interspecific, i.e. between members of different species. The competition is for resources and results in winners (who get the resource) and losers (who do not get the resource). It is simply too broad to delve into in an answer to a Y!A question.

• nothing
      Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

...for some, or source for life function in deficit of other sources. If I have red blood cells with nucleus, that is sign white cells to leave, it is life with requirements, without rules. Opposites prove the possible.

• 3 weeks ago

Typical example for Symbiosis is given "amoeba", in the oldest schools, but most closer are few different species: there is immortal cyan-green virus-algae (not virus not algae) which is kind of alive source (strong identity) for later developments into all later mentioned in your question/sentence. Other example as later development of the mentioned (similar method) is tardigrade, evolved from combined virus and amoebic tissue - its genetics, called dna but are different.

Later evolved more complex amino included in building material for genetic reparation are other before fish, symbiosis of many many. 

Sharks and fish separated evolved from just little difference, today sharks have most genetic sources as reserves for repairing the genetics (constant 50% more than actual used genes), and fish has more identity and own replicating data within cells. Fish is evolving symbiosis, while shark keeps the identity. 

Those were some of kinds of connection from symbiosis. Additional, most of the time only one chemical is enough symbiotic life to become single i.e. connected into one and as one from 2. That is also how humans evolved from fish cell i.e. rna.

• nothing
      Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

P.S. If you search for the "immortal cyan-green virus-algae", only few people know about is, and only Japan will tell it to you (exclude me), otherwise it is 2-nd source for starting life all over on new planet.

• 3 weeks ago

Would take too long to type it all. Just google it.

• 3 weeks ago

Symbiosis is an interaction between two or more organisms that live in direct contact with one another

Mutualism is a symbiotic relationship where both species benefit from the interaction

Predation is a biological interaction where a predator (an organism that is hunting) feeds on its prey (the organism that is attacked)

Commensalism is an interaction between organisms where one species benefits and the other does not benefit nor is it harmed

Parasitism is a relationship where one organism benefits while the other is harmed

Competition happens when two organisms fight for similar resources such as food, space, or water

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.