What internally am I looking for when buying a new computer tower that will be good for school work / work?

Best Answer

Generally speaking, for non-demanding work loads, just about any computer will do. What I would look for is value for money. In particular how much ram does the computer have, where 8GB of ram would be the minimum I would suggest, but preferably 16GB that will cover most every situation for now. I would suggest an SSD over a hard drive if boot up speed matters, if not, you will usually get more storage space with the traditional hard drive. The CPU should be at least 3 ghz, where I would look at a CPU benchmark list online to determine the best CPU for the money. They way the benchmark list usually works is that you can get a slightly more powerful CPU for just a little more money, where there is a point in the list that the next CPU is a chunk of money more. I just upgraded my pc over the summer and at that time it was the AMD Ryzen 2600 @ $140, where the next CPU up was over a $100 more. The amount of RAM will be the most important thing. 8 GB is usually sufficient for most uses, but if you can get 16GB for a little more, I would certainly go that route.

• Fulano

It really depends on what you're doing to be doing... If it's office work, typing, spreadsheets, or whatever, I'd just make sure it has an SSD so loading programs or saving files is nice and quick. If you want to get technical, I'd try to get something that's upgradable, like a CPU that can be upgraded to a better one years down the road.

If you're doing something more specific (programming, illustration, media editing, etc) you'll want to look up what hardware the programs you'll be running needs and go off of that.

• Bob

Get an iMac mini

If you buy a tower pc it will be out of date in a couple of years before it grinds to a halt

Or an iMac 

They are both very reasonably priced

Top quality 

Spend a little bit more and get something really special

Or buy another pc in a couple of years

• ?

Doesnt need to be anything fancy. You'll be doing word processing and internet browsing, maybe a power point or two, so you can go fairly cheap without noticing the drop in quality. Go with whatever you can afford and it should do the job