Are leaf-blowers the latest evil to afflict the world?

It seems like it to me, they are a general noisy nuisance and I've seen people blowing leaves off their property onto public paths

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/leaf-blo...

Latest?  I've thought for years how ridiculous it is for people to blow leaves off their property onto public roads. It's littering.

• Biff

“Leaf blowers are not only deafeningly loud and pollute the air through their internal combustion engines, they also harm the soil biology seriously.” Does Germany have "April the first" on a different day to other countries?

One of those laws the EU is said to "impose" on the UK, the Outdoor Noise Directive 2000/14/EC, limits  the noise output of outdoor equipment used in parks and gardens. The noise wouldn't be harmful to the hearing of anyone other than the operator who should be wearing ear defenders and would be too short-lived and seasonal to be a nuisance in law. If the exhaust fumes from the small engine of a leaf blower were really that polluting, health and safety would require the operator to wear breathing protection.

When I've seen a leaf blower in use the leaves were being blown into a pile and taken from the site.

I think that damn things are stupid, and should be banned. a brush and bucket is all you need to deal with fallen leaves.

I thought leaf blowers could be reversed and used as a vacuum, at least, the ones I have seen could, then just empty the bag of leaves onto the compost heap, job done. Not quite as good a job as raking them up though.

• ..
      3 weeks agoReport

Not all of them do both (vacuum and blow). 

Used on "suck" they remove and chop up the leaves ready for composting. This is the only acceptable use of them!

They are the heights of laziness and I’d love one.);

We have spent half of the last two weeks raking up leaves, filled two large brown bins with them.

My son had one and he was mocked mercilessly by both his parents,

Yes. Everyone could get fit using a garden rake and get into composting. It would help cut unemployment too, just imagine how many more park-keepers could be employed at this time of year.

They are incredibly noisy and it is not on really to just blow your load onto public spaces.