Should the water be boiling when pre cooking the shrimp for gumbo, and boil shrimp for how many minutes?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

yepppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

• 2 weeks ago

I have never precooked the shrimp. Once you drop them into the cooking gumbo, they are done in just few minutes. Once they turn pink they are done. anything after that gets you rubber shrimp. AND if your shrimp are already pink, they only need to be heated through.

• denise
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

I'd lightly fry the shrimp, until they 'pink up', it will add more flavor in the gumbo.

• If they are not already precooked I'd read the instructions on the package.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • IvaB
    Lv 5
    2 weeks ago

There is absolutely no reason to boil the shrimp separately beforehand.Simply add the shrimp near the end of cooking the gumbo for the last few mins or so.Job done.

• 2 weeks ago

Boil JUST until the shrimp turn pink. 

Placing them in the gumbo will cook them a bit more and you do not want to over cook them

You could also drop them into the gumbo raw and they will cook in the gumbo, that will give the gumbo more flavor. 

(Devein first)

• 2 weeks ago

shrimp must be boiled at least 3-5 minutes....

• JJ
    Lv 5
    2 weeks ago

Yes, boil the water before cooking the shrimp.  Cook the shrimp for two minutes, keeping careful watch to avoid overcooking. 

• 2 weeks ago

Yes, the water should be boiling, and you should boil the shrimp until it turns bright pink. And the amount of time depends on the type and size of the shrimp. One general thumb-rule is to boil small shrimp about 1 minute, medium shrimp about 2 minutes and large shrimp about 3 minutes. That is for fresh shrimp, if the shrimp is frozen, you need to add about another minute.

• 2 weeks ago

Yes always. It must be

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.