Mike
Mike asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 weeks ago

If Trump goes completely General Jack D. Ripper crazy and orders nuclear strikes on Iran, Iraq and Syria, what does the military do?

I would hope the Joint Chiefs, or whoever it is, would refuse to obey the order, but that sets us on a slippery slope where the military overrules the President.

There should be a board of military and political advisors that can quickly decide what to do in case of an unlawful order. Maybe there is one and its existence is confidential.

They would invoke the 25th amendment and force him out. 

• Weasel McWeasel
      2 weeks agoReport

No one is pushing the nuclear button over an angry tweet or Hannity Nonsense.  There are people in place who would refuse the order. 

Nuke 'em all and help the world with its overpopulation problem.

• KaleyK

The military follows lawful orders.  There is no obligation to follow unlawful orders.  If the President on his own accord (being JDR crazy) orders nuclear strikes, the military officers can legally refuse by declaring it an unlawful order.  The other branches of government, legislative and judicial, can then get involved. 

• KaleyK
      2 weeks agoReport

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/military-orders-3332819

I would Support him 100% I don't want these goddamn savage's to get my precious bodily fluids!

• Mike
      2 weeks agoReport

You're exactly the type who would support him.

The president doesn't have the authority to order nuclear strikes by himself.

so poof, there goes your liberal fantasy !!

• ?
      2 weeks agoReport

25th Amendment.

• abdul

Congress is supposed to hold the authority to declare war. Potus can order strikes, but I think if he ordered nuclear strikes, without congress, he would be overruled.

• jimmy

That would probably mean Russia would nuke the USA, and the US joint chiefs know it. Syria and Iran are Russian allies.

• KaleyK
      2 weeks agoReport

You're right ... but you didn't answer the question!