Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 4 weeks ago

I got true for the question but the answer is false can someone please explain why its false? (A − C) − (B − C) = A − B.?

For this question I drew Venn diagrams for both sides to see if they matched and they didn't. I was told to use a membership table to see why its false. I know membership tables are like truth tables, but how do you make a membership table when there are subtraction signs in the question?

CORRECTION: Sorry I meant I got false for the answer and the correct answer is TRUE. 

• Lôn
    Favorite Answer

Remove the brackets...

A - C - B + C

= A - B

YOU are correct.... their answer is wrong.

• Lôn
      4 weeks agoReport

Yes, you always have to remove the brackets before you simplify...thanks for BA 👍

Two negatives make a positive so - (-C) is +C.

Then A - C - B + C and the C's cancel out.

• Mark

Order of operation.  You do the stuff in parentheses first, THEN the rest.  Using (this is just an example) A=5, B=4, and C=1, doing it correctly, the answer would reduce to 1.  Doing it like A-C-B-C will yield -1.

• Lôn
      4 weeks agoReport

(2-3) - (2 -3) = -1 - -1 = -1 + 1 = 0