What should I do now?

I got into an accident (victim) with my rental car (weekly) that I use for uber. I paid out of my pockets to fix the car and didn't work for one week. I filed a claim with Geico and they said they would settle it. They sent the check over to the owner including work compensation. The amount is about $3600. I talked with the owner of my car and he said he won't give me the money that I am owed cause it's not my car. What steps/legal actions should I take now to get my money back?

Geico is your auto insurance company, that is their job, turn it over to them.

I wouldn't say a word because the car doesn't qualify as an approved rental.  One of the first things you have to do is provide insurance in your name;  https://www.ridesharingdriver.com/uber-vehicle-req...

Sue the guy. If you already paid for it, then he's double dipping. Why did you not tell Geico you already paid for it?

• Mohammed R2 weeks agoReport

I didn't tell him cause the car owner is a friend from the same community and I think he told them he paid for it. I sent the receipt paper to Geico and it's in my name.

You made a mistake when you paid to fix the car. However, all may not be lost. You can try to sue the car's owner. It's not right that he receive both the repaired vehicle and the insurance settlement.

• David S
      2 weeks agoReport

Geico won't be able to help. They've already paid to the registered owner, which was appropriate. I recommend you speak to an attorney to find out exactly what your options are.

You may be screwed. You should not have paid money out of pocket to repair a car that is not yours. The owner of the car could use the money they received to have any work you had performed corrected and parts replaced if they are not OEM.

Don't fix things that are not yours.

• Mohammed R2 weeks agoReport

Well the owner lives in another city (9 hrs away) and he told me to get it fixed saying he would pay me back. I have the receipt and everything and I'm wondering if I can go to court?