In the US Army, if you apply for a specific job qualification and during training you wash out, what happens then? Do you get a 2nd choice?

I was watching a Youtube interview with an Infantry soldier. He said you needed to be fit and smart in order to make it as an infantry soldier and that about half of his training class washed out.

That got me wondering. What happens to those who wash out? Do they get to choose another job to try and train for? Or does the Army just assign you to whatever they want at that point?

• Rick
    Favorite Answer

Uncle Sam puts you where HE NEEDS YOU ...................

Source(s): Retired ARMY SFC.

No. You are reclassified based on the needs of the Army. Unless you’re Reserve or National Guard. If so, you are sent back to your home unit to try again in 6 months.

That half of his training class must be squeaky clean by now.  They were fortunate to have been given so much time to wash things out.

You are placed where the Army needs you and what job you are already qualified for based on your ASVAB score.

The army assigns you to whatever they want.

in reality, they will give you a very small list, maybe 2 or 3 jobs and ask which one you wanna do now.

it all depends on which MOS school you fail out of

PS: people hardly ever fail out of infantry

• y

Been a while but when I was in, I thought those who couldn't cut it elsewhere ended up infantry. They were the last line. All I knew is those who didn't cut it, went away.

• y

Then again, it was a brand new system, we didn't even have all the Trucks or spll's for either, so maybe that was why things were different. Anyway, been a long long time, thanks for the memories.