Anonymous

I am a senior planning to graduate from college this December and I have 1 professor who is trying to fail me. (I think she is)?

I am suppose to be graduating from University in December, but I have a professor who I believe is not trying to help me.

I am doing my very best, but even my best is not good enough in this class. I have even spoken to her about my situation, which doesn't help.

I really want to graduate, What should I do?

Favorite Answer

No professor is "trying to fail you," or interfere with your graduation. A degree is not a participation trophy for showing up at the competition. You are failing to meet specific requirements of the course & the professor's criteria for mastery of the course material. And pleading with your prof for "help" in the form of a better grade to ensure your graduation is the wrong approach. You need to ask - if you have yet to figure it out yourself - what expectations you fail to meet & how to improve your performance.

"Doing your best" should not be a criteria for passing a class or graduating. A college degree is not a participation trophy. You have to actually learn the material and demonstrate that knowledge through writing a competent paper or passing an exam. If you can't do that in this class, then you need to visit your school's tutoring center or talk to your professor to find out how you can improve.

It isn't that the professor is "trying to fail" you. You are simply scoring poorly on various assessments. It is also not the professor's job to ensure you pass and can graduate.  Meet with the professor.  Ask about specifics.  For example, what exactly was missing from your term paper or essay? Can she provide you with a sample of a paper that got an A? You also should consider hiring a tutor if you can find one.  Without knowing the subject or what grades you've gotten on various assignments and tests, it's hard to know why you are failing.  If you simply don't understand the content, that solution is going to be different than if you lack ability to write a well-reasoned essay. 

Ask the professor what you need to do do to graduate.