Why is obesity important to address nationwide?

I want to know more on why obesity is an important to address nationwide. I have done quite a bit of research and I just want to hear from others more in-depth as to why it is important to discuss nationwide. 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Obesity often leads to more serious health conditions that kill people well before the age of 70.  Type 2 diabetes (mellitis), resulting from obesity can lead to neuropathy in the feet (shooting pain), diabetic retinopathy (partial or full blindness), and kidney failure.  My aunt who developed type 2 diabetes in her 40s has suffered from all of the above illnesses related to her condition, and she was recently told that she only has 2 months to live.  So, "obesity" is a very serious medical problem, particularly if your body stops producing insulin.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Because obesity impacts health costs, wait times for doctors and procedures and the like. If this preventable condition were stamped out life would be a lot easier for everyone.

• 3 weeks ago

It has been connected to diabetes and heart disease.

• 3 weeks ago

Because people that live in the same state usually have a similar lifestyle (that is usually reinforced by laws). If fast food becomes popular in California the chances are that sooner or later it'll be popular in New York and Florida, too. If working long hours in the U.S. is considered normal, then people from every part of the country will have less time to buy and prepare healthy meals and will turn to fast food. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • rick
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Recently the WHO said over half of US citizens were obese. Fat is fatal. This is an epidemic of titanic proportions. There few, if any, issues of any more importance.

• 3 weeks ago

Because it is very unhealthy. It causes major health problems including diabetes and heart problems. I do not understand why people let themselves get that way. 

• 3 weeks ago

It has become an epidemic.

• 3 weeks ago

The nation is moving closer and closer to having universal healthcare, I would say it's inevitable that the USA will have a single payer health care system in the next 10ish years.

Obesity and poor overall health go together.  The obese people will utilize the health care system more and likely require more expensive procedures to keep them alive.  When the tax payers are footing the bill it will be in everyones best interest to reduce the obesity problems in this country.  Same with smoking.

One of the benefits of universal healthcare is that the incentives for doctors changes.  Today doctors only get paid when you come to them for a problem, doctors have no incentive to keep people healthy.  With a universal healthcare system doctors can be incentivised to keep you healthy and out of the office.  Doctor gets a bonus if he can get you to lose weight, reduce your blood pressure etc... without the use of medication.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.