Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 8 months ago

Is it OK to not tell my mom this?

I am going to college and staying with my brother and his wife. I started to have painful periods. It was 5 days of hell. I could barely function. My doctor put me on medication that stopped my periods. It is wonderful. I don’t have these terrible pains each month. My problem is the medication that stops my periods is also a birth control. My mother is a devout Catholic who believed that anyone that takes birth control is going to hell. My brother said we should just let this be our secret and not tell my mother what I am doing. He said if she knew I was on birth control, it would cause her needless worry.

Do you think he is correct in us keeping this secret?

Favorite Answer

choose between pain and moms foolish beliefs

• PAMELA

It is nobody's business but yours, certainly nothing to do with your mother, or in fact nothing to do with your brother either!

Your mom should not have a problem with it as you are not using it for birth control. No need to tell her either

• MissA

You are an adult. At some point you will need to cut the umbilical cord and stop telling your mother every tiny detail of your life.

• D_21

If you're college age then you're grown. Grown ups don't tell their parents everything. And this might shock you, but your parents don't tell you everything either.

It is more than okay for you to not tell your mom. In fact as an adult managing your own healthcare, that healthcare is your private business. It's borderline inappropriate to tell your mother.

I would however encourage you to consider a second medical opinion. As it may be better to investigate the cause of your painful periods. If you have an underlying condition like endometriosis or something then it may be better for you to treat the cause. Eliminating your period is convenient, but may or may not be the best course of action.

Sounds like you're on the Depo shot...when you come off that you get a period for like an entire month straight.

• Dave

It's ok not to tell your mom why cause her all this pain.

• Linda

If your mother is that fanatical to believe anyone on bc is going to hell, don't tell her.