Smoking makes me feel ashamed, guilty & foolish, but I m having trouble stopping. I smoke 1 pack every 3 days. What should I do?

I started smoking 6 months ago because I couldn t cope with anxiety and depression, and nothing else was working, including scripts and therapy. Please advise.

• k w
    Best Answer

on my third try, I decided to do it differently, I waited 20 min after a meal or the desire to have one before I'd light up, and I was tapering off from a pack a day...I also kept the pack in a baggy to keep it as fresh as possible, before you know it, I was down to just once a day, before bed,....then one day I ran out and never bought any more....that was in the 80's......

I smoke Puff Bars (disposable cigarettes) now and i don't stink like a bon fire anymore. I like them better.

Start by going back to therapy for your anxiety and depression.  Also, get some information (read some books) that will help you change your diet and exercise program to help support your physical and mental health.  If you are using smoking as a coping mechanism, you really need to address the problem so you'll not longer need to smoke.

You can also look into various programs like The Quit Line.  The way to decrease smoking is to be able to stop in the moment and see if you can redirect your energy to something that is better for your health and actually better at easing your anxiety.  

Look up mortality tables for smokers and non smokers and determine which on you want to apply to you.