How do you calm down a client who doesn't like your proposal / price?

Families who own their own business.

How do you calm down a client who doesn't like your proposal / price ?

I help my husband with his landscaping business and we have a client under contract. They enjoy our weekly maintenance and want extra work done. we gave them our initial price, which was absurd to them. They offer a 3rd or our proposal. I say we can't go that low and explain why we charge what we charge. This infuriates him and says we don't know what we're talking about and so on. How do to decline the offer without jeopardizing the renewal of the contract? How do I sway them to look for another business / person to do it? I'm basically asking what words would you use? 

• Jay
    Favorite Answer

These people are trying to take advantage of you because you are a small business. You must not let them dictate what you do or you will wind up working a second job to keep the landscaping company open.

Tell them that is your price and them go out and look for two new clients to replace them if they decide to not renew.

(They do not want to do their own work, and they do not want to find a new company.)

Find a new client or lower the price.

You may need to walk away from the contract...thats the reality of the situation.  

I wouldnt waste as much time on them as I would looking for other clients. 

Brief and to the point. The price is what we charge and if you don't like it, then you don't get the extra work done. If they threaten to go elsewhere, tell them you will miss their business but you understand, and wish them good luck in their search.

You can't have it both ways

- if you don't want to do this work for that price, expect them to look elsewhere for all their needs. 

So your options are:

- eat the loss because you are making it up on the general maintenance

- tell the what you can do for the price they want to pay

Walk away from the deal

Move on. You can't talk someone into spending more than they want or have.