Why do 1 in 7 Americans use food banks to eat?

Source: FeedingAmerica.org

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Low pay.  High rents.  High medical costs. Loss of employment.  Fixed income elderly.  Lots of reasons.

• EdWinter
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

That's the once-Golden State right there, isn't it.

• 3 weeks ago

Because a lot of people will take whatever free stuff they can get even if they could afford to pay for it.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Because in America everything costs way to much for people to survive on especially with an absurd level of taxes like we see in Fairfax County, VA and elsewhere. The government steals from us. Remember tax collectors are enemies. 

• Sam
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

We have become a second rate nation, so far from the top that we can't even see it.

• EdWinter
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

roflmao

Strawberry, am I right - your fave Kool-Aid flavor I'ma talkin' 'bout, honey!?!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

No short answer but "food deserts" create many problems coupled with lack of money and transportation in inner cities. Crime makes food suppliers reluctant to invest in outlets in some areas. Vandals and looting create more problems.

The USA has a Lot of food. Most of it gets thrown away.

Feeding America is helping with those issues but more needs to be done.

• 3 weeks ago

Are you seriously suggesting that 47 MILLION Americans are eating three squares a day, EVERY DAY, at food banks? Really?

Have any hard data to back that one up?

Please share some more!

• It does seem like a lot, but I also saw the same statistic published at Wells Fargo. So it probably is true. Which is also sad and scary and insightful that we may have more of a macroeconomic problem than your average American could overcome by hard work. 

• 3 weeks ago

Because they are hungry. Can't see starving my fellow countrymen...

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Maybe because they’re hungry?

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

It's cheap and leaves money for cigs, crack and booze.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Poor life choices mixed with excessive spending habits

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.