Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 3 weeks ago

If you can go back to the morning of 11/22/1963, how would you save President Kennedy?

With everything you know. What can you do? 

• Fred

Walk up to him and say, "Mr. President, security announces your parade route can not be secured."

JFK, "But I need the Southern vote, I need to feel accessible and close to these people!"

..Mr. President, you take this  ride today in an open car... you will never feel close to these people again!"   

Kill Lee Harvey Oswald.  I'd just catch him outside his boarding house and shoot him.

Rule #1 of time travel is not to alter the past

Don't be foolish

The interesting thing is whether or not anyone COULD do anything to prevent the assassination  (short of buying a gun and running into Delay Plaza shooting into the air to cause a panic shortly before the Presidential motorcade arrived).

Policies, procedures and views on threats were very different back then (as evidenced by the fact that putting the President in a convertible was even considered acceptable).  An anonymous phone call to police or a newspaper would likely be considered a prank and never get passed along to the Secret Service. Even if one wanted to contact the Secret Service, would it even be possible at that time?

There is a scene in the movie "Dr. Strangelove" where an officer at an Air Force Base somewhere in the Western USA is desperately trying to get hold of the Pentagon to give them the secret codes that will recall a flight of B-52s ordered to attack the USSR by the Base's deranged commander.  The officer must first deal with an unhelpful phone operator who has no idea how to connect him to the Pentagon, then must order a soldier to shoot a vending machine so that he has enough change to make the call.

The movie, of course, was intended to be a comedy, but the premise actually triggered Congressional hearings to determine if such a thing could actually happen.  This scene was the only one that military experts deemed "somewhat plausible."  Military and government leaders realized that there was a need for a rapid, nationwide communication network that existed beyond the existing telephone and radio infrastructure (a network that would become the internet as we know it today).

I bring this up because the movie was released in January 1964.....two months after Kennedy's assassination...

I couldn't since I was in the Army and could not get a leave to get to Dallas in time

I'd tell him to  NOT use the damn convertible.   If he asked me why, I'd hand him a Kennedy half dollar from the year 1964. 

You can only be on the money if you are dead. 

I'd report the plot and Oswald's location to the police and Secret Service before he could target Kennedy. 

I wouldn’t interfere. I would take my phone and observe and record it and then post it online to get more followers on my social media accounts.

knock out zapruder and take the credit for the recording

Knock him out cold