Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 weeks ago

Is alcoholism a family disease like they say and if so why?

My Dad is an alcoholic and I don't drink so how is it a family disease? I am sober even though the anxiety of his drinking has hurt me terribly and led to my Mom's breakdown after they divorced.

Best Answer

When people say it's a "family disease" they don't necessarily mean that it's genetic/hereditary. They may also mean that, as you said, the disease in your father has had effects on you, not just on him.

Also, it doesn't mean that every child of every alcoholic becomes an alcoholic. It does, however, appear to be more common among relatives of alcoholics. Your decision to avoid alcohol is very smart. Good luck to you.

they say this because there is a THEORY that children of alcoholics are predisposed to addiction as well. It's just a theory. Who knows if it's true?

In some ways.  Just as you and many other people become non-drinkers when someone in their family is an alcoholic, many other people learn their drinking habits from family.  There is also believed to be a genetic component to all addictions.  To my knowledge none has been specific identified for alcohol addiction, but that doesn't mean that people with the same gene pool don't have a greater or lesser likelihood to abuse alcohol.

I think you answered your own question.  Its not a family disease in the sense that everyone in the family is an alcoholic.  The family involvement is the part where his behavior is hurting you and it caused your mom's problems, and divorce. 

• .

It's only a disease if the alcoholic is still drinking.   After a solid year of sobriety, there are no more physical symptoms.

It's not a disease at all. Educate yourself better.