Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 3 weeks ago

Could this cause problems later in life ?

My 7 month old fell repeatedly on his head but EACH time he fell on his head was an ACCIDENT!!!!! Once he was sitting up on the counter and he tried teaching for something but leaned too far and fell right on his face on the kitchen counter. Another time he fell and slipped out of my hands while sitting on the ground before I could catch him.. another time he slipped off my lap and fell on the floor.. each time was an accident and I feel terrible about it but he wiggles around and sometimes its so fast that I dont catch him on time.. he cries each fall but only for a minute then he's fine.. I feel terrible but its 100 percent an accident.. could this effect him later in life? No mean comments

Who sits a baby on a counter?

• sarah

If the fall is hard enough to cause a concussion or a cracked skull or anything serious like that, then yes, it could cause problems. But if it's just your everyday fall-down-and-get-back-up scenario, the baby will be just fine. My six-month-old has whacked her head pretty good a couple of times, and aside from the "OMG, I'm totally gonna die!!" fit that babies tend to throw after stuff like that happens, she was just fine. My husband fell off a bar stool (not in an actual bar, just a kitchen, lol) when he was around a year old, and even though I tease him and say that must be what's wrong with him now, lol, he's absolutely fine.

• GB

Why did you put him on the kitchen  counter?  The falls when you hold him, suggest you have coordination problems.  It would be advisable to use a sling when carrying around your home, and if someone else is there ( other parent or grandparent for example .) let them do the carrying.  It's  safer to change your baby on a mat on the floor, or let him lie in his buggy or crib, than use a changing table.  You should also see a doctor about your lack of coordination.

• Pippin

Babies fall.  It happens.  He will not hurt himself from sitting on the floor and tumbling over, or sitting on your lap in a normal chair.

But why on earth was he ON THE COUNTER????

It might not effect him later in life, they are just small falls soo he probably won't get brain damage by that. Just remember to take him to the doctor for anything serious. Be very careful when you're holding him, don't let go, and make sure to push him back if he moves forward, basically pay enough attention to him to notice if he's going to fall and help adjust his position soo that he won't.

I suspect this runs in your family.

Head injuries only cause lifelong trauma if they're intentional. 

My sister dropped me like three times, I am just fine. You might want to check with a doctor or something, but whenever your child is with you please try to hold him and not let him go and not to leave him alone on the couch without you making sure he doesn't fall. If he leans forward, gently push him back. Try to prevent him falling. I don't think it will do anything serious, but check to make sure. :)

Yes. Internet trolls tend to commit felonies later in life and end up in prison for 20+ years.