What would happen if an atom bomb is shot?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Well, it would explode. The bullet passing through the atom bomb would ignite the uranium/plutonium/whatever is in there and cause a very large explosion. This would result in nuclear fallout as well, and cause a heavy loss of life if the target is a city.

• Tom S
      Lv 7
      1 week agoReport

Trey is wrong, setting off a nuke is extremely complex.  I live near where one was accidentally dropped out of an airplane, (decades ago and in the US) no it did not detonate.

• 1 week ago

If it does not contain any warhead then it could give Mozart some cause for worry... 

• Mark
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

Nothing, really.  Atomic boms work by having ANOTHER explosive around the nuclear payload which then compresses it really quickly.  A bullet would not have sufficient mass to do this.

• Frank
    Lv 5
    1 week ago

Nuclear devices have a lot of mechanisms built to ensure a SAFE detonation. Everything has to work a CERTAIN WAY in order for it to detonate. We don't want these things to go off just by hitting them with a stray projectile...or dropping off a bomb rack on to the ground.

If a bullet were to hit a vital component...it would merely DAMAGE the component and it would render the bomb useless. It would NOT explode.

Even if you managed to detonate a part of the conventional explosive inside the device...it would STILL not cause nuclear detonation...it would just blast the bomb apart leaving radioactive shrapnel to be dealt with.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 weeks ago

Most likely nothing - very little.

• 2 weeks ago

Don't really know, but I do know that the pressure drop is what kills you. So basically the more buildings around you, the more damage it will do. 

• oubaas
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

A great "bang" indeed

• Dze
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

likely nothing .. but it could rupture something and leak radioactive material or start a fire or worst case scenario it could short out the triggering mechanism and set it off lol .. i recommend 'not' shooting at the big firecracker ...

• Trey1 week agoReport

This is the WORST ANSWER, it is a troll answer. I am an actual nuclear engineer and oldprof is a troll.

• 2 weeks ago

Very little....................

• Robin
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

nothing .........................................

• oldprof
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

Most atomic bombs are essentially harmless as even the high explosives used to set off the physics package (the nuke part) are difficult if not impossible to set off abnormally.  But that depends on which lab designed and built them it turns out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.