Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 weeks ago

How do Americans pronounce the TH sound that make it sound like F?

When Americans pronounce TH, it sounds like F.

I thought .. sounds like I Fought.

I think .. sounds like I Fink.

Mouth .. sounds like MouF.

How are they doing that? I really, really want to learn to pronounce it like that, but i have no idea how to do that. I am not even a native speaker, and learning to pronounce TH was hard in itself, but i really want to be able to pronounce it in a way that sounds like F.

If you are an American, can you tell me how do you place your tongue when pronouncing TH?

• Cogito

Very few Americans do that, and when they do, it's just laziness and bad pronunciation.

No-one should deliberately try to do that!

I am an American and I can tell you just how to do it. Open your mouth. Stick your tongue out and leave it out. Bite down as hard as you can. Have a nice day.

You need a hearing aid.

• reme_1

Don't learn to pronounce like that. It is not correct.

Mouth …. th sounds like th. NOT an F. That is lazy and lower class people speak that way. Do not lower yourself to their level.

• HNizzles23 weeks agoReport

It is an adaptation possessed by individuals of African-American heritage, mostly from the inner city and gang-heavy areas.

• Lôn

Londoners do the same..it sounds silly.

It's not a nice sound....don't copy .

I thought Cathy threw the thing out. sounds like...

I fought Caffy frew the fing out.

Ugh!

• HNizzles23 weeks agoReport

The F sound is a phoneme produced  by letting the top front teeth touch the lower lip as the air passes through. It is called a labiodental fricative. The TH sound is made by placing the tip of the tongue against the back of the top front teeth and allowing the air to pass through, it is a dental fricative.

Many languages do not use a dental fricative, French, German and Irish for example, so they hear the dental fricative as the closest phoneme they have to it and use that phoneme instead of it. This could be F, Z or D. 

In the Philippines, they have a bilabial F, not a labiodental F. English does not have a bilabial F so we don't hear it. What we do hear is the bilabial stop, P, although that is not the sound the speakers are using. They call their country the Philippines with a bilabial F as the first sound, we hear it as the Pilippines.

People have to learn how to make the sounds of their language, When they learn other languages or variants of their own language, they have to be able to hear the different sounds and learn how to make them and it is not always easy.

• HNizzles23 weeks agoReport

I'm an American and have spoken English my entire life and cannot agree that we pronounce TH so that it sounds like F.

The F-sound is made by having your upper incisors resting gently on your lower lip and then exhaling slowly through your teeth for half a second. End the sound by opening your mouth slightly, so that your lip pops out from under your teeth and then immediately pronounce the next letter.  F very briefly sounds like pressurized air escaping from a valve.

The TH sound is made by touching the inside of your upper front teeth with the tip of your tongue. Exhale so that your vocal cords buzz softly. You should faintly feel the buzz on the tip of your tongue.  Then suddenly open your mouth and make the sound of the vowel which usually follows the TH in the particular word you are pronouncing.  TH has a distinct consonant buzzing sound that F lacks.

It's not easy to describe how we make speech sounds, but I've tried and I hope this helps.

• HNizzles23 weeks agoReport

How can you imitate them?  Simply put a blob of peanut butter in your mouth.  Squash it against your upper palate.  Then try to talk.

I wouldn't say all Americans talk like that.  Most of those who do have been reared in Black families, where the accent is so strong they don't learn to pronounce things clearly.  I've heard bread being pronounced bret.  It all depends on where you were reared.  Southern accents tend to be the strongest and have the most trouble pronouncing words.  I have relatives from Dallas who pronounce oil as all.  

It's not th. It's eth! It's a ventriloquism trick you can't say the letter f without moving your lips but you can say eth. Sounds exactly like the letter f

• Diogenes
      3 weeks agoReport

If your goal is to learn how to properly pronounce English words, don't start by practicing without moving your lips.  Ventriloquists already know exactly what they're supposed to sound like before they start practicing how not to move their lips.

TruF is I never really Fought about it.