Victoria asked in PetsFish · 2 weeks ago

Am I changing the water in my aquarium too frequently? ?

I own a 3 gallon tank with 3 fancy guppies, I change out 2/3 of the water each day. 

P.S. I have no filter or heater.

• 1 week ago

I use a water filter. Never have to change the water

• Ocimom
    1 week ago

Hate to tell you but you are doing it ALL wrong.

Guppies need a minimum of a 10 gallon tank.  NO fish should be in less then 5 gallons.  Guppies are tropical fish and need a filter and heater and temps at 75-78 degrees.  When you get the right set up your fish will survive and be healthy.

You need to establish an eco system for your fish to be healthy. Invest in a 10 gallon add a sponge filter and heater.If you know anyone with an established tank ask them to run the sponge filter in the tank for about 2 weeks. Then add the sponge and wait about 2 days then add your fish. Water temp should be around 78. Water changes no more than 20 percent once a week.

Yes, you are. I would recommend that you change the water every 2-3 days, only changing about 1/3 or 1/4 of the water (depending on how dirty the tank is). Also, you need to get a heater and filter ASAP, that way you only have to change 1/2 the water once a week. Priority is the heater and then filter. Guppies are tropical fish and need a heater, unless you live in a place where it is always warm, at least 72 degrees fahrenheit constantly (during the day AND at night). 

Hope my answer helped and happy fish keeping! :)

3 guppies need a ten gallon heated and filtered tank.  

• Greg

That is too much at one time.

I use a water filter. Never have to change the water.

• Rachel2 weeks agoReport

Even using a filter, you still need to do water changes.