Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 3 weeks ago

Why do we have gangs?

All we ever hear about is violence. They are literally dying over 'disrespect.' To me, that translates to dying for no reason. If you scribble out another scribble with your scribble, that creates beef? Huh?!! I never understood it. What is it for? Power, intimidation, control, property, what?? And for what?? You're not making it a better place to live, you're not shaping the community, so what exactly are you representing? A hood, a niche, a city, a block? The only positive thing I see is, you are a part of somewhat of a family. I use that term lightly because y'all let each other die over some bs and all of a sudden you want revenge for that bs and it keeps building that it goes on for years. Using violence to stop violence equals more violence. 

Favorite Answer

I think well over 50% of the attraction is the lawlessness of it. Middle finger up against authority. And, most of these folks are not able to get a real job - too little education, raised to consider "the establishment" and a steady job as things to scorn. And they get to strut around, beat their chests, carry guns, shoot people, and make a quick buck. Till they get shot. It's definitely a booby prize, not something they can actually be proud of.

Poverty. Gangs make money, off illegal merchandise like drugs and guns.

• You already have some sense of it, in your thoughtful considerations. What more you need to know I am sure you can arrive at yourself. Just expand and enhance your understanding of the causes you vaguely understand.

• Zirp

Humans are social animals, not natural loners.

If you have a choice between suffering hunger and poverty or joining a gang, it's an easy choice

It's something to belong to

Mostly it's for drugs.

Sometimes property.

And how much time have you spent in poverty urban areas? so your experience is zero in regards to this.

So please don't try to judge, try to understand. and there's a huge difference.

for power. advantage in numbers.

Lack of positive role models with influence and lack of successful educational and economic opportunities.