I heard that a 357 magnum bullet can go through an engine block. What about a 44 magnum, can it do the same ? ?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Robin
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

an engine out of the car and on a bench with FMJ can damage the block enough to blow a piston but wont penetrate it. Soft points and lead, including hard cast spatter on the block regarless of calibre

• Quinn
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

You heard wrong. Neither caliber ammo is going through any engine block. Come on! 3/8" steel target plate can stop a 44 mag. An engine block is easily thicker than 3/8".

• 2 weeks ago

Nope, not a chance, won't even penetrate. Follow my lips,,hollow point are least likely to penetrate any metal. .38+P FMJ does better and a 9MM Luger hard point or armor piecing will go through a car, engine and all.

Maybe into the water jacket of a jap aluminum 4 banger.

.44 magmum,,not with hollow point, FMJ ball, yep.

.50 BMG will take a transmission from a 1 ton truck completely out scattering parts.

I tried shooting holes in a fire door with my bro's .357 and only left marks on the door. wouldn't even damage the hinge.

Saw a .375 H&H magnum destroy a radiator, crack the timing cover and break a timing gear. the gun was a 29 model S&W.

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Its definite that it wont go all the way through but you would end up with a car with a junk engine

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 weeks ago

depends on engine and type of bullet. 357 mag that was standard for sherrifs, traffic patrol officers had option of a iron cored 'road blocker' bullet that could penetrate car doors, body metal to reach driver and in a few cases had gone through radiators, broken camcovers, broken water jackets.  that ammunition is still around with restricted sales to police, military same as old M43 ammo for 7.62x39 with its iron core, armored vest penetrating ability. .44 mag ? maybe, there are a few FMJ .44 bullets advertised, some bronze and copper .44 for california 'no lead hunting bullet allowed' market but the .44 was NOT a military or standard police caliber, less need for a bullet to penetrate car bodies with iron core or extra hard tip.  . 

• 2 weeks ago

untrue folklore steve.

• 2 weeks ago

whats the engine? 

maybe a small dirt bike or lawn mower. but if your talking about a car, i would definately say no. they say a 44 can stop a car. but i mean..i wouldnt trust it. 

i believe matt at demolition ranch actually did a video on this exactly. i cant remember the results because stopping a car isnt high on my priority list anymore. but the military uses a 50bmg to stop cars effectively 

so naturally that would be what i would bet my life on.

• Rick
    Lv 5
    2 weeks ago

Well Steve there are blocks and blocks.  A 1972 Chevy Vega with an in line 4 cylinder aluminum block engine; either caliber will poke a hole.  An 8 cylinder big block engine from the same era will say no to both projectiles.  

• 2 weeks ago

You heard wrong.

• 2 weeks ago

A .357 Magnum cannot go through an engine block, nor can a bullet shot from a .357 Magnum.

• kluxman452 weeks agoReport

44 might crack it
      rifle bullet will drill a hole in the water jacket area,did it on a 352 motor

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.