do you know why so many so-called Christians think that verse John 3:16 is the only verse that really matters.?

I keep reading about a new trend in America where at sporting events many people keep taking along signs with the verse John 3:16 with them or its the only verse printed on t-shirts and when people are asked about the verse they do seem to imply that JOHN 3:16 is the only verse in the whole bible that matters.  so do they believe the almighty was playing a game with all the other verses that make up the bible, or maybe its meant to be more like a hunt through every verse to find the one that matters.

It's not, by any means, the ONLY verse that matters.

But it is perhaps the best compact summary of the Gospel message, and is therefore worth remembering.

• Papa-G

True, belief in Jesus as our Ransomer is essential. But it is also necessary to believe what Jesus taught and commanded, to acquire a full understanding of Bible truths. This is shown by the fact that Paul later showed this when he wrote that Jesus "being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him" Hebrews 5:9

• Dave D

It is all about reading in context.  People who focus just on John 3:16 have an annoying habit of ignoring John 3:19.  "This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil."  

John's prologue does an excellent job of referring to Christ as the WORD of God.  To reject the WORD as taught by Christ and doing evil is the cause of judgement.  Our actions speak louder than out words.  Why do you think Christ said "I wish that you were EITHER hot OR cold, but since you are lukewarm I will spew you from my mouth."?  In context the lukewarm are those who claim to be a follower but still do deed of evil.   Why does He say in Matthew that there were those who called Him "Lord" and even performed miracles in His name that are condemned because of their evil deeds while there were those who didn't even know Him ("When did I see you hungry and feed you...?") who were acceptable?  Why does the Bible state clearly that God is not interested in our sacrifices or worship, but all He wants is a clean heart?

Obviously, those who teach that belief in Christ is the sole requirement for salvation are horribly mistaken.  If the teachings of Christ do not reflect in our actions then how can we ever say that we are His follower and we believe in Him?

• Jeff

"Do you know why so many so-called Christians think..."

No - as a matter of fact, I've never

found even ONE christian that did think - at all.

Today's Christians MAKE UP their OWN "Jesus" (I Corinthians 8:5)

All they wanted to hear is "For God so love the world" with a belief that God loves

UNRIGHTEOUSNESS  

After He said

SATAN is "the god of this world" (II Corinthians 4:3-4) that they believe GOD "loves."

They didn't bother to read the rest

"...that He gave His only begotten Son that WHOSOEVER (((BELIEVETH IN HIM))) should not perish but have everlasting life" (John 3:16)!

"BELIEVE IN HIM" 

Acts 11:17 says

"Forasmuch then as God gave them (((THE))) like (((GIFT))) as he did unto us, who 

(((BELIEVED ON HIM))) Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?"

HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM ***SAVES*** (Mark 16:16) and

We "...should have everlasting life" (John 3:16)!

• poldi2

"new trend" - hon, people have been holding up John 3:16 signs for DECADES.

Most of the Bible is addressed to already saved people to learn things and to learn to make wise decisions and trust the Lord,. and to be encouraged to help people.  Very few verses by comparison are saying how to get into heaven.  John 3:16 is one of those very few verses that are saying how to get into heaven.  Romans 4:5 is another.  John 6:47 is about.  Believe in Jesus to take you to heaven, and that is how to go to heaven.

Nobody can be good enough to avoid hell. The truth is that death leads to immediate heaven or hell, depending only on whether the person believed in Jesus for eternal life, or not.

.

The truth is that Jesus loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that Jesus is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing in Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in Jesus to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven when you die, because you believe in Jesus! It is too late to be saved, after death

• David2 weeks agoReport

well at least you make up one of those who belong to Babylon the great with that trinity belief that the bible clearly states will be in the majority right up to the day of Armageddon. no you don't have to be a witness to know how stupid and satanic the trinity really is. I am not a witness.

I'm an atheist, but the first thing that comes to mind for me as a defense for that is when the pharisee asks Jesus what the greatest commandment is. And Jesus replied with first love God with all your heart. And that along with the second commandment of love your neighbor are what all other laws and prophets hang on to.

Looking it up, that's Matthew 22:35 onward.

• El Nerdo Loco
      2 weeks agoReport

Looking at these comments, I have no idea what just happened. I should quote the bible here more often!

It's not a new trend, it's been a thing for decades at sporting (and other) events.

I'm still trying to figure out why so many current day humans believe the crap fed to them by others over the millenia, the bible being only one of many examples of manmade words having nothing to do with an actual deity.