Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 3 weeks ago

Does my Dalmatian Molly have a fungal infection?

I had three mollies, up until about a week ago, when two of them suddenly passed on the same day without any obvious symptoms or signs. I thought my third molly wasn't going to make it because he had the most signs that he was sick. I moved him to another tank and did a full water change on my main tank and it has been sitting for about a week and a half without fish. Now, my surviving molly, the Dalmatian, was acting weird before I moved him. He started to rotate backwards occasionally while he swam, and his gills moved really fast. Furthermore, and the most perplexing, is that he seemed to change color completely. He used to be almost all white, and is now practically black. I heard that this is typically caused by ammonia poisoning, but after my first two died, I tested my water and the ammonia was 0. Shortly after moving him to my "iso tank", he doesn't swim weird at all and his gills are moving normally. The only things are that he's extremely hungry, and his color is still dark, and a little, I don't know, almost filmy(?). After showing comparison pictures to someone who works at a pet store, she said that it is most likely a fungal infection and recommended Pimafix, which I have been using on him since he was moved to the other tank. It's been about a week or more, but his color, as well as the film-like look to his scales, don't seem to be changing, although he's acting healthier. I was wondering what's wrong and if there's anything else I can do to help him?

That's what it looks like.  I had great luck with a product made by API - you can't overdose using the product.  It took about 2 weeks for my fish to get back to normal.

• Nathan

I'm not a vet, how would I know?

• Nathan
      3 weeks agoReport

No-one in here is a vet. You can't get an accurate answer regarding medical issues on here