Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 weeks ago

Chapter names?

What would be a good chapter name for a chapter about a plane crash?

• Prince

Chapter names are kind of dated and frankly, I have never even seen the value of dividing a book into chapters. Joyce wrote the second half of his first sentence for the beginning of, "Finnegan's Wake" as in, "riverrun past Eve and Adam's, round bend of shore and curve of bay . . ." finishing the book with the first half of the same sentence and, as far as I am concerned, permanently defeating being hidebound by convention.  

• denise

'Into the Blue', ?

• Marli

Do you need to name your chapters?  There is nothing wrong about typing "Chapter One", "Chapter 2".

If you need to name your chapters, I like Greg's advice to keep the same tone and the point of view of the story.  

A stiff-upper-lip type of narrator might type "A Distressing Situation" or "A Setback" or "The Crash (Loss) of Flight [number]"

A more flippant type might type "Honey, I Won't Be Home For Supper".

An excitable type might type "Mayday!"

Something that isn't a spoiler. Perhaps the title of the chapter could refer to some detail in the story of the crash that doesn't give away the fact that there's a crash in progress.

It's hard to suggest a specific title without having any details about your book, but here are some general guidelines to follow.

Unless you have a reason for the chapter to stick out, chapter titles should be somewhat similar to each other in length, word choice, tone, and style. For example:

Ch. 1 - In Which I Climb The Mountain

Ch. 2 - In Which I Travel To Paris

Ch. 3 - In Which I Steal A Boat

Or a less formal example:

Chapter One - My Birthday Party

Chapter Two - What's That Outside?

Chapter Three - Wait For Me!

If you are writing in first person and the titles are all in your character's voice, then the title should also be written with that character's personality in mind. Humorous, sarcastic, serious, punny, etc.

I hope this helps!

• j153e

Time to Bail