Computer repair qualifications?

For someone who wants to assist with or repair people’s computers (like help desk and/or field repair tech) what sort of certificates/degrees/qualifications would they need (or would be beneficial to them) to be legit and show they can do what’s in their career description?

For this kind of work, you want to look at the CompTIA A+ certification. There are 2 tests you have to take and pass, but they don't need to be taken at the same time. It is an entry level IT cert and can help in getting into the field of IT.

I don't know how much you already know about PCs and repairing them, but consider watching Professor Messer's videos on YT. He goes over the A+ objectives in a decent amount of detail and is a great and free resource.

The other thing that has helped me is to get some old PCs, take them apart and put them back together again in working order. Having video and text resources is great and all, but they just can't replicate an actual experience working on physical things. You don't need any fancy PC equipment to do this.

Depending on what you want to do next in IT, consider getting other certs like the Network+, Security+, a MS cert, CCNA, etc. PC repair is generally an entry level IT job which is great, but I personally wouldn't want to stay in it for too long.

• Jacob2 weeks agoReport

Oh, I know. I’m merely curious as I know close to nothing about the types of certifications available/sought after. I didn’t want to go into something, find out I didn’t like it, and then not be able to change to another certification.