Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 7 months ago

Was I sexually abused?

So I am starting therapy next week and I had to fill out this form and one of the questions was whether or not I’ve been sexually abused. I said no on the form because I don’t know if what happened to me counts as sexual abuse. It’s such a serious word and I don’t want to try to group myself in with people who have had worse done to them if I shouldn’t.

So what happened to me happened when I was 14, there were actually two things. The first thing was getting groped without my consent or any initiating, I was scared the person would do more to me but thankfully he stopped there. There was another event, it was more ongoing. Basically I was manipulated into doing sexual things(but we didn’t go all the way, and I was manipulated, not necessarily forced) by an almost 18 year old(who had power over me but I won’t get into that) when I was 14. 

So my question is, does what happened to me fall into the category of sexual abuse?

Favorite Answer

Yes, you were sexually abused. Based on what you wrote, it sounds like even if it wasn't traumatizing for you, it was terribly confusing. It's worth talking about it once you feel comfortable with the therapist, but you don't have to correct the form if you don't want to.

If you didn't consent then yes you were.

yeah...pretty sure that is sexual abuse

• Chanel

You could have put 'unsure' and when you see the therapist tell him/her exactly what happened and get their opinion.

You could ask the therapist.

Yes.............