Should I be worried about a possibly tiny amount of broken glass in dishwasher?

So I was loading the dishwasher when I hit one of my tea cups against another glass in the dishwasher. It chipped off a bit of glass and fell to the bottom. I took all the dishes out, rinsed them and then vacuumed the floor and dishwasher door. I did not do anything with the racks though. I then put all the dishes back in and started the cleaning cycle. Today I used some of the dishes from the dishwasher but now I'm worried there could have been traces of glass in there that have now contaminated those dishes. What should I do?! Am I being too paranoid?

Best Answer

Dishwashers have a low point in the bottom called a sump. That sump catches all the heavy debris, there is a filter to stop hard objects from hitting the pump. That is where the glass shards would end up.

• y

Biggest danger would be cutting yourself as you empty out the catch screen. Next to that would be the danger to the pump, valve, and fins. I could see tiny pieces being tossed around during cleaning, that could potentially chip something. But beyond that, it will not contaminant your dishes.

• audrey

Yes You're being too paranoid. The cycle would have totally washed away any and all traces of glass if there even were any.

Use a towel to wipe the dishes off, should remove any tiny glass particles if the dishwasher hasn't alraady

• Any glass left behind will now be in the filter at the bottom of the machine. Take it out, turn it upside-down over the sink and rinse it with running water. There won't be any on the dishes.

• John2 weeks agoReport

But the dishwasher was cleaning with the dishes still inside so is it possible the glass could have gotten stuck on something and not reached the drain?