Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 months ago

Do I have a legal case?

I was given a speeding ticket in Florida I was going 36mph in a 35 zone, I honestly thought it was a joke at first but I was told most judges will likely dismiss it and tell the cop to be reasonable.

Do you think it is worth it or just pay to $250?

Fight it. Chances are the cop will not show as a witness.therefore, no case.

Howsoever, I would argue that it is entirely possible for your odometer to be 1/2 of a mile off, while the speed detector may also be calibrated incorrectly by 1/2 of a mile....making a one mile per hour error.

It is possible!!

• blank

"Your Honor:  It just SEEMED like I was speeding.  I just happened to not be behind "that" retired blue-hair old lady that can barely see over the steering wheel.   As such, I honestly did not know my car would reach speeds more than 5mph under the posted limits as a result."

Judge:  Of course!  Ticket voided.  Case dismissed.

Fight it. At minimum they will reduce the fine by a ton.

• A.J.

The bigger issue is any effect on your car insurance rate. There are many defenses to speeding tickets and the +1mph is relatively easy to beat. You may need to collect information about the measuring method the officer used to challenge the accuracy.

Do some research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0URuTLH93k

Youtube thumbnail

I was ticketed locally here in Las Vegas, and they often give local residents a break.

During one of our major conventions with traffic tied up, I finally got a stretch of road that was clear and did 51 in a 35 zone. First the police officer was nice enough reducing the charge to 42 mph to keep the license points lower. And a week later when I looked to pay the fine, found it reduced to a parking ticket non-moving violation. It was still a $200 fine, but no points that affect insurance and clean driving record. Judges and prosecutor will often accept guilty to a non-moving violation.

That is another option for you.

Your three options-

Fight the ticket completely as not guilty

Get the ticket changed to a parking ticket or other non-moving offense

Get the fine reduced by appearing in court and asking for that.

No, you weren't.

• David

Just pay it because it might cost you more than that to get it over ruled.

Since it is legal to ticket you at 1 mile over the speed limit, you will lose the case.  However in many cases for traffic tickets the police do not show up in court.  If they do not show, the judge will dismiss the ticket.

It is up to you whether it is worth the effort or not to fight to the ticket.

The judge is not going to lecture the police for doing his duty and enforcing the law.

Not worth the $975 airfare from Sydney, mate.

• Kyle

was there a school or park with children nearby?  or near a hospital or elderly care?  there maybe other restrictions like that where you need to obey the speed limit.

if you want to potentially waste time going in front of a judge and spending a day in court, that's up to you if you want to save $250.  

• audrey

I would definitely go to court, unless it involves taking a day off work or driving hundreds of miles. The judge may very well throw it out.