Anonymous

Why do people choose useless majors because it's their passion, even though they will likely not work in that field they are passionate in?

For example, the college student who majors in film studies because they are passionate about film, but how many jobs are there related to this specific role and industry that pay a livable wage and aren't in Hollywood. Not very many. Yet it's their passion!!! Why can't they see past their college years and just get a minor in film studies and major in something more practical? You have an easier time getting a job in the film industry as a software developer or graphic designer that has crossover skills than just studying pure film studies. Yet most college kids don't understand this and think their passion is everything and that their passions wont change as they age

And then they end up with a BA in Film studies and working selling car insurance or working a clerical job that is boring as hell and is a dead end career

What sounds better, majoring in computer science and getting a job writing code to make software that does special effects for movies making 150k a year? Or majoring in film studies and working at Starbucks and making $10 an hour?

• .
    Favorite Answer

A lot of people do initially choose a degree with good job prospects, but then change majors when they can't succeed.  My son is a senior CS major in a large state university.  They graduate between 26 and 36 students per year, even though the freshman class of declared majors is about 220.

Check out institutional research to confirm that.

colleges use propaganda to persuade students  to rack up 30 years of locked in income tot he school and loan company,,based on a major that is useless out in the real world of employment

Eight of my extended family members majored in film studies because that was what they were interested in. Six of them work in the field, one is a writer and one got a job outside the field. They had no contacts in the industry when they started, but they've all been successful including Emmy awards and nominations. As with any field, you need  drive, talent, hard work and social skills to be successful. People tend to be happier and more successful in a field that they love. Yes, it's harder to do well in creative fields such as music, art, film, dance and writing, but it CAN be done.

And don't badmouth Starbucks, either. Yes, their coffee is overpriced, but they offer health insurance even to their part-time workers, which is helpful for people who are self-employed or between jobs.

Who are you to say someone's major is "useless?" And why are you thinking inside the Job Box when the world is entering the Post-Jobs Era, and the film industry never has been about "jobs" and "salaries" anyway. Film industry, like a number of others, has always been part of the "gig economy," as some people call it today. And who says there is no film work outside Hollywood, when most films & TV shows are not filmed in Hollywood, or even in the US?

Depending on one's specialization, competencies, reputation for performance, etc, one can pick up good contracts for various types of work in film a lot of places. Who do you think films local news, local TV ads, and more?

BTW, it's ironic that just yesterday I ran into someone with over 40 yrs experience in the film industry after earning his degree in film (cameraman, in this case) who has had gigs in Brazil, Peru, most European countries, and a lot more. He has a wonderful life (so has his wife, who often travels with him). And a very affluent income....

Passion matters. It can spur you to be the best at what you do. It underlies your mission. It helps you convince employers/contractors/etc. to sign you up for the gig rather than someone else. And it underlies loving your life, instead of resenting your drudgery.

There's no way of predicting what the job market will be like when you graduate.  When I started my MS in Information Science, we were told we could expect to get jobs paying $80K-$120K when we graduated.  But when we graduated, the market had crashed.  I graduated with honors but still couldn't find a job (at least not without moving 1000 miles or so, which wasn't an option since my husband has a good job and we have a mortgage).  Neither could my classmates, at least the ones who stayed in the US.  Four that I know of gave up and went back to school to go into healthcare-related fields.  It took me almost three yers to get a job in the IT field, and it only paid $40K.  However, I was competing with people who had Ph.Ds in IS and CS, so I was happy just to have insurance.

Luckily I went for the degree because I truly enjoy the field.  Others hated it.  And then, after suffering through years of education in a subject that didn't even interest them, they couldn't find a job.  So I think following your passion is the way to go.  At least you have a better chance of enjoying what you end up doing.

And for the record I know plenty of people who have "useless" degrees in fields like Art History, English, Music, Women's Studies and more.  And all are happily and gainfully employed.  I also know people who hated it but went into STEM fields because they wanted high-paying jobs, including one guy who got a degree in Nuclear Engineering and a couple of guys who got CS jobs.  All lasted less than a year in the fields because they loathed it so much.  The Nuclear engineer went back to school for a degree in Archaeology and is happily working in the UK now. One of the programmers went to culinary school and is a pastry chef.   

• juliet

Everyone is going to have a unique answer for that. Just worry about yourself

We are always told “Find a job that you love doing.” You’re saying people should find jobs that they hate. 

They're not very clever as a matter of fact.