Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 weeks ago

Am I allowed to know who submitted a hipaa concern?

My job said I wasn’t allowed to know but I read I can find out who it was

The concern was only submitted through my job and they didn’t file anything so I won’t get a letter that says anything

They also wouldn’t show me the evidence of what was posted. 

No and employers don't want their employees at each other's throats - they won't tell, for the safety of both of you.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

Who reported whatever is irrelevant.

If you did whatever they reported is the ONLY legitimate issue.

It doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is if the violation occurred.

How many times are you planning to ask this?  If you can't understand the answers on Yahoo I will assume you can't understand HIPAA.

No, someone coughing on you does not violate HIPAA.

No, you are "not allowed to know who submitted a HIPAA concern."  There is no rule or law or obligation to furnish you with the name of the person who expressed a concern.

I assume you're in a healthcare related job. HIPAA violations are quite common. Some are very serious.  Some are not so serious.  You have ZERO right to know who filed the complaint. Ironically,  that falls under HIPAA also. It is your duty to know what violations can be committed in your area of healthcare services.  

They have no requirement to share with you who submitted the report. The have no obligation to show you the evidence. Your employer is not a court of law and is not bound by the rules of evidence.