Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

Is a trained dog for PTSD victims considered a service dog?

Best Answer

My husband suffers from PTSD.  He has a certified service dog provided through the VA by a group called "Service Dogs for Veterans."

The dog goes everywhere he goes and wears a service vest.

Google answers this question, by the way.  Google says yes.

Bracing my self - apparently if anyone disagrees with 9fingers they pay the price.

• 19 hours ago

Service dogs are for one person only. In the USA people with disabilities are allowed to train their own service dogs. You can work with a trainer or you can get one through an organization. If you work with an organization or a trainer they will give you a certificate stating that your dog is a service dog but that certificate doesn't prove that your dog is really a service dog it just means the dog completed the whatever organization or trainers program and passed. You would just have to keep up with the training and socializing...A service dog for PTSD is also called a psychiatric service dog which is different than an emotional support animal. I personally have a service dog for PTSD (non-military) and for 2 other reasons. I am training her myself which the ADA says I'm allowed too. I just keep a training log of every time i train, the amount of time i trained for and what i was training. But even if my girl didn't have the training logs you would see it in her behavior. She ignores all distractions such as someone who threw their child at me and my service dog at the grocery store. This actually did happen. She ignored it and kept on going, if she wasn't trained she most likely would have barked. But since she is she ignored the whole ordeal and focused on me the whole time.

Yes, with professional specialized training. Talk with your Psychiatrist about your needs. Only through a Psychiatrist can you get the letter prescribing a service dog for you. Psychiatrist will tell the trainers what your needs are & a dog will be trained to suit those needs.

Trained by an approved ADA training facility, yes,,otherwise, no.

They don't grant service animals just for PTSD, there is nothing the dog can do to assist. A companion animal will fill that spot.

NO. It's an Emotional Support Dog and does NOT have Service Dog access rights. Even the Veteran's Administration doesn't provide dogs for PTSD.

• Ocimom

Yes they are more then ESA's and I do believe they are considered to be a service dog.

Yes they are and idiots shouldn’t go pet them in public distracting the dog causing the owner to have a attack

Yes. Me basset hound puppy is trained to help people suffering from PTSD. 

• Abe Gippeau
      2 weeks agoReport

Give the brain back to the rocking horse me little pleb!

This is actually a very interesting question because there are people that have service dogs for seizures caused by a PTSD attack. These service dogs are technically seizure alert dogs but they could possibly be considered there for their owner's PTSD. So technically, PTSD victims could have service dogs but their PTSD is not specifically what the dog is there for. 

• Let me rephrase that last statement. Service dogs can not do anything about the PTSD itself, but they do alert and tend to problems caused by the PTSD. A PTSD induced seizure was just my example of an issue, not an exclusive reason for a PTSD victim to have a service dog.

In most places, you do have to get them registered, but it isn't too expensive. My brother has a trained service dog for his PTSD and the pup helps him so much. I HIGHLY suggest getting your dog registered. And make sure that if you're in public they wear the vest. 

Source(s): Service dog experience