Lv 7
asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 weeks ago

why are not all US territories states?

i mean, i realize ORIGINALLY it was because they were nothing but non-white residents there, but as most of the US is that way, with a variety of races considered "U.S. citizens", i don't see why we haven't annexed them and added them as states. Puerto Rico alone makes billions of dollars per year. surely that would be good enough reason...

Update:

so what's the hold up?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Because it would be too difficult to make a good looking flag that contains 51 stars. 

Rows of 9 and 8 stars doesn’t look right. 

See how odd it looks. 

• Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

doesn't look that bad to me:
      https://pasteboard.co/II3mdCk.jpg
      besides, we've changed the number of stars COUNTLESS times before. remember when we had just 13? we made a circle of them.

• 2 weeks ago

All U.S. territories are part of the United States (because they are under U.S. sovereignty), but the unincorporated territories are not considered to be integral parts of the United States, and the U.S. constitution applies only partially in those territories. The political status of Puerto Rico is that of an unincorporated territory of the United States. As such, the island is neither a sovereign nation nor a U.S. state. Because of that ambiguity, the territory, as a polity, lacks certain rights but enjoys certain benefits that other polities have or lack.

• Mx_latinx_folx
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

UNINCORPORATED territories are not considered to be integral parts of the United States because they are NOT under U.S. sovereignty, so the U.S. constitution applies only partially in those territories

• 2 weeks ago

It's not a matter of "annexing" them. The citizens of the existing 50 states do NOT unilaterally determine whether a territory is added as a state. First, the people of the territory have to vote to apply for admission to statehood. Puerto Rico has had a number of elections over a long period of years regarding applying for admission to statehood, and it has been voted down by Puerto Ricans every time.

• Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

really...because my understanding was that since their status change and subsequent election of governor, they've been working towards statehood fervently...

• 2 weeks ago

With Jeeper Peeper.

My territory has it's own way of doing things. In exchange, the U.S. has another docking station and base.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 weeks ago

Puerto Rico is not a state, because it's expected that both of their Senators would be Democrats..

• 2 weeks ago

Probably because the people that live there, voted NO, on the question of statehood.

• Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

really? then why did the 2017 vote win in FAVOR of statehood?
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico#Referendums_on_statehood_or_independence

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.