Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 3 weeks ago

Can you hunt deer with a stick bow?

Could you make a bow from a tree limb and with paracord? Could you hunt small game too?

Update:

What if I use modern arrows with broad heads? I heard that some stick bows can produce up to 45lb draws. That's enough for deer and small game.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Perhaps, but you would want to use an actual bowstring. There might be laws on it in terms of craftsmanship, draw weight, and power stroke though to ensure ethical kills.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

I have, and you can too.

• WayneH
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Why does everyone answer this troll?

• 3 weeks ago

Some states have a bow hunting season.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bob
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

depends on the state, but in mine any bow that's over 55lbs is legal. paracord isnt a good choice for a bowstring since it has considerable stretch. get yourself some dacron b50 

• 3 weeks ago

A stick bow is a no go, but a long bow is a very simple and effective weapon. If you don't have the time, tools or talent to actually craft a long bow then you can make a primitive stick bow. It's where you bind many thin limbs together to build up a long bow with a decent draw weight. 

But don't use paracord. It's strong but it can't sustain the tension a decent draw weight bow can produce. It will stretch and snap after only a few shots. Sinew or certain tree fibers are much better for the job.

Source(s): Wabinaki and penobscot bow builder
  • L.N.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Native Americans did, You probably can't.

• 3 weeks ago

Well, you could "hunt" deer with one.  You just couldn't "kill" any.

You might be able to kill small game with one, but you'd probably have just as much luck throwing the stick at it.

---------

Sure, some stick bows can reach that draw weight.

Best of luck reaching that yourself.

And of course, as always it depends on what you mean by "stick bow."  Based on your description of a homemade bow from a tree limb, I sincerely doubt it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.