How can I hide my porn collection from the geek squad if they have to transfer my data to a new hard drive?

I plan on getting a new hard drive with more data on it, I’ll take it to geek squad since I’m not tech savvy. The only problem is I have a lot of embarrassing fetish and bdsm porn. I really don’t want anyone seeing it, but i don’t want to lose any of it either. It takes awhile to build up a collection this large. How can I keep there eyes off my private porn without having to delete it.

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

I am sure they have seen enough porn on customers' electronics to start their own website

1 year ago

Just copy it to a usb thumb drive, you can buy a large storage one of those for $20 or $30 and its good to have for backup purposes anyways, then delete them off your hard drive and copy back on later.  This is also why people like sites like youporn.com or xvideos.com because they dont have to have on computer lol  (But then again I prefer having a copy of the videos since online they could be deleted at some point).

• 1 year ago

lol If you are uneasy of them seeing the names or the porn just put a lock and password or encrypt the files/folders. If they are doing a clone of the drive and not just specific files/ folders just hide the files/folders by right click the file/folder click properties and at the bottom click "Hidden" and then apply/ok. They won't see it unless they are snooping and or unhide files. Then just unhide files and do the same step to unhide your porn collection. But the easiest way is just transfer your collection or a usb drive then delete from your computer and when you get your computer back put it back on but you don't want to delete the collection from your computer.

Source(s): 20 Yeah of computers building and Certified Ethical Hacking.
  • 1 year ago

Hi. If You're running Win10 You COULD just pull the harddrive You have now, & ask them to do a clean install of Win10 on the new harddrive, which You would enter Your regcode for at Home & re-install alll Your software to fresh - & run updates for again.

OR You could just buy the new harddrive, install it Yourself, & do this anyway with a downloaded copy of Win10.

If You're running Win7 or 8 & have hardware drivers installed that can't be found again, ior some software You don;t have installatiion discs for, then just consider buying some cloning software Yourself for the xash & buying the blank harddrive for them to install physically.

You'll still own the current harddrive, & it can be converted to an external drive pretty easily.

G'Luck!!!

• 1 year ago

I worked at a computer repair shop for a while and we came across porn all of the time. We were instructed to just ignore it as long as it isn't illegal (underage) just like we would with the rest of the files on a customers computer. In fact, if they are just cloning the hard drive to a new, larger one then going through your files isn't even necessary! They won't mention anything about it to you at all because they need to be professional but if you are still concerned you can buy an external drive, use a USB flash drive, or an online service like Dropbox, Google Drive, or even Mega to backup your collection. You are usually given something like 15 GB of storage for free and Mega offers 50 GB (yes, 50 GB!) of encrypted storage for FREE. Just make sure to delete the files from your PC and to empty the trash when you have uploaded/backed up your stuff.

• 1 year ago

Come on [bad choice of words] Prince Andrew. Embarrassing is the least of your worries.

• keerok
    1 year ago

Hahaha!

If it's there, they'll see it. Buy a portable USB hard disk, move all your "stuff" there, empty the trash, keep your USB hard disk at home and bring the laptop for service.

1 year ago

you can get an external hard drive or a flash drive and move all files you don't wish them to see there and delete from your computer hard drive of course, then you can either keep them there or move them back to the new drive once you have it.