Hope asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

Next door neighbor won't stop feeding my horse?

My next door neighbor is continually feeding my horse over the fence and I don't know what to do. We moved in a couple of months ago and our neighbor just started feeding my horse without asking me and my husband and I, just wanting to get along with everybody, just let him do it. Our neighbor would tell us what we should feed the horse treat wise, even though he has zero horse knowledge and I have owned horses for over 15 years and have my horse on a regular diet. Flash forward to about two months ago and we had a disagreement with the neighbor when we asked him to come back later to feed my horse as I was riding my horse at the time when he came over. Our neighbor then stormed off and called me on the phone, telling me to stay on our land (even though we had never been on his) and he will not come over anymore. I thought this arrangement was just fine and everything seemed okay until a few weeks ago when I saw him feeding my horse again, on my land, without my permission. My husband and I posted no feeding or petting signs but he hasn't stopped. I am renting the land from another neighbor (not this neighbor) and I'm worried if I take more action my horse might have to be moved from the land. What should I do? 

A few people have mentioned trespassing. If the horse/s are walking up to the fence, the neighbours are NOT trespassing. Get some posts and rails and put them up where your horses cannot get to the "feeders" fence. About 3 feet each side and 6 feet away.If it's your own pasture, that's fine. If you rent it, ask the owner first. 

I'd run a strand of hot wire across the top of the fence, and keep it turned on, so that your horses will learn to stay away from it and this idiot neighbor of yours will get a strong shock every time he tries to touch or lean over the fence to feed your horses treats. My thinking is that it'll only take once or twice of being shocked for him to get the message and learn to leave your horses alone.

It's called the "lightning bolt from God" principle, and it works just as well for people as it does for animals like horses and dogs. Once your neighbor figures out that the fence is hot and that it BITES, he will quit feeding your horses.

Some people are weird about giving animals treats. I would just talk to him and explain that they are fun to watch and pet but 'eating like a horse' doesn't mean that they can or should eat everything. They don't relize that giving treats all the time can teach them bad habbits, or make them pushy in the filed, or just be bad for their health.

If he doesn't have any expirence with horse, and you really want to avoid confontation, then try telling him that you have been having issues with sugger intake and your vet is having you regulate and monitor their eating habbits and what they ingest more closley. And if all else fails then you could just get an solar panel electric box and some step in posts and run a line a eight or nine foot away from his fince. If he gets offended give him some BS excuse. 

The barn I work at was having issues with people feeding the horses in a filed that bumped up against a neighborjood. They were our geriatric horses, one of the horses had cushings and one had pretty senstive allergies to somthing in processed horse treats. We were thinking about moving the horses to a diffrent filed, but then we found some signs that said "Special Dietary Needs - Do Not Feed The Horse". It worked like a charm, we even had people come and apologize incase they accidentaly made one sick.

Clearly he really likes them, I'm sure he would hate to thak that he might cause health problems. 

• patty

just feed your horse less as the neighbour is feeding it.

• Ocimom

Can you put up another fence to keep your horse further away?  And then use a line or two of electric fencing on the side of your neighbor that is causing problems?

"we asked him to come back later to feed my horse"

For starters, if you didn't want the guy to feed your horse, you shouldn't have told him to come back to feed the horse.   Talk about mixed signals!   He probably thinks those signs don't apply to him since you TOLD HIM to come back and feed your horse.

"my husband and I, just wanting to get along with everybody, just let him do it"  

As far as I can tell from reading what you wrote, you have not yet a single time communicated to him directly, in person, about your wishes.

?????

What is he feeding the horse?   Will it hurt the horse?   

If there's some reason related to your horse's health that whatever snacks he's giving are not good for the horse (like giving a Cushing's horse fruit), then politely talk to the guy and explain the situation.    If what he's doing isn't going to hurt the horse and they both enjoy it, choose your battles carefully.

You can always do a laser sensor so you know if he's crossing into your property, install security cameras, hire an attorney to write him a letter, or you could move the horse.    But I think it's premature to go there since it's possible you're inventing problems where there are none.

I have a horse too and I'm quite particular about what I feed her, but sorry, I'm just not going to get my knickers in a twist about a neighbor who brings their kids over to give her a carrot, handful of fresh grass or some leftover french fries (her favorite...lol).

I think you've contributed to this situation by sending him mixed signals, not communicating directly and by posting signs instead of just talking to him like a person.     You've only been there a couple months and already have made an enemy of someone who seems to care about your horse so...

Again, without knowing what he's feeding and why you think that's bad, I really can't give you much advice other than to consider what your part in this situation has been.   I don't think the blame is all his.

There are so many other simple solutions to this!   For example, I keep a 25 pound bag of timothy cubes in my tack room.  I break the cubes up into little pieces and keep a ziplock bag of them on a wire rack in her covered tack-up area.   I have several neighbors who like to come see her when they are out for walks and they are all fine giving her the timothy "treats" that I conveniently provide. 

You had so many other options to find a solution that would work for you, horse and neighbor.  What a shame.  :-(

Friend you must be crazy you have a neighbor that is willing to feed your horse for free it costs a crapload of money to feed your horse if you have a neighbor that is interested in feeding your horse by all means let him feed your horse a horse eats like a horse please let your neighbor feed the horse it'll save you a lot of money

Talk to the person you are renting pasture land from and see what he thinks. Personally I would have called the police and gotten a restraining order to protect no only yourself but the horse - you don;t know that that fool is feeding it.

• Bob

It's very clear that you should report this person to the police. NOBODY should be feeding an animal owned by someone else, especially when they have repeatedly been asked not to.

This is in addition to the fact that he's trespassing on your land to get to the horse.

Report him asap.

• Kyle

do you have a stable?  you may need to keep your horse in there at night or when you're not at home so your neighbor can't access him.  

you could try getting security cameras to catch him in the act.  then report it to the police or HOA if you're apart of one.

does your neighbor you're renting the land from know your other neighbor is feeding the horse?  work together to tell the other neighbor to stop doing it together.  it's not his to take care of.