James asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 year ago

Where did all the leaves used to go?

Now a days we have these tan bins that we can put all our leaves into and then they are gone. But I imagine those tan bins weren't always around, so where did all the leaves used to go before there were the humans.

• 1 year ago

What is a 'tan bin'?

The leaves in my garden just lie where they fall. Life is too short to spend it raking leaves.

• 1 year ago

Before leaves were bagged or binned, humans that raked them up would burn them, in piles, in barrels. Until I was about ten and my town stopped the practice, we raked them to the curb and burned them. The smell of burning leaves and playing football are linked in my memories of fall as a kid.

And of course, what doesn't get collected decomposes and becomes an organic fertilizer over time.

• 1 year ago

They decomposed into the ground, blocking the growth of grass (you only have to walk through a woods to see that). Lawn mowers speeded up the process and the smaller fragments didn't kill off as much grass.

1 year ago

They decayed in place today, still as they do in a lot of places where people don't collect the leaves for disposal.

1 year ago

depends ... i remember when it was legal to burn them on our block ... people had these 55 gal metal drums used for incineration ... we usually mowed them into pieces 

1 year ago

As in any woodland today, they fall to the ground, rot down and enrich the soil. Trees don't have to worry about being sued if somebody slips on fallen leaves. Councils do.

• Dj2541
    1 year ago

OMG that means that we are in reality,  all just  standing on millions of  years of leaf  litter??  OMG!!!!!!

1 year ago

They decompose and become dirt over several months.

• Matt
    1 year ago

The ground. Leaves degrade and become soil.

1 year ago

to hell­­­­­­­­­­­