Phil
Lv 6
Phil asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 8 months ago

Do you consider Nicaragua and other countries of Central America to be part of North America?

I know many Americans don't.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • oyubir
    Lv 6
    8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes. That is not a matter of opinion. It is a cold fact. Or, to be more accurate, it is the definition. Used internationaly by all countries, including United States. North America is all America but South America.

Those who say "no, it is Central America" are apparently believing that America is split in 3 mutually exclusive areas (North, Central and South). Well, there are some discussions where people do so. But in that case, they use the term "Northern America". If you split in 3 areas, Northern, Central and South America, then, Northern America is just Canada, US and Mexico. South America is the same as the North/South in 2 areas (continent) splitting. And Central is the part of North America that is not in Northern America.

In other words, there are 2 Americans continent (or subcontinents, if you prefer to see America as a single unique continent): North America and South America. And North America can, for political reason be split in two areas: Northern America and Central America.

Many Americans don't, exactly for the same reason they are always astonished when they are told that Mexico is (unequivoqually, since Mexico is even part ot Northern America) part of North America (that having Mexico in NAFTA is not at all a contradiction) : because in their mind, North America is the modern area where people speak English (and French, for lot of Canadians), celebrate thanksgiving, and live an American Way of life (overconsuming, fast-food, etc.), have a stable free democracy, with not a single coup in the last 2 centuries.

And in their mind, South America is the rest of America, where people mainly speak Spanish (and Portuguese), and are all trying to emigrate in the US to escape their dirty poor countries where drug agriculture is the only economic opportunity, and the president is either communist or nazi, is trying to change the Constitution to stay eternally in office, and will eventually be thrown out of office by a coup or a revolution.

And it is true that most of Spanish speaking countries are in South America. But not all of them.

(Likewise, you colloquially use the term "Western Hemisphere" as an alias to "Americas", which is objectively false, even if it is almost true)

But well, I do understand why Americans may think "I have nothing in common with Nicaraguans, and lot in common with Canadians". But that doesn't mean that the conclusion "therefore Nicaraguans aren't North Americans and Canadians are" is true. Definition of North America has nothing to do with politics or society.

The conclusion should be "therefore not all North Americans live the way we, Americans and Canadians are living, and speak the languages we are speaking"

Nicaraguans are North Americans. That is just a matter of definition, not of what Americans opinion about them is.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

If they were part of "North America," they wouldn't be described as Central American". There's a reason for that description. oyubir is wrong when  he claims "cold fact". His long, rambling answer is incorrect.

We are not talking about continents, rather regions.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

I kind of like the division that some geographers and historians make into North America (US/Canada), Mesoamerica (Mexico and Central America, and extreme northern S. America), and South America. It privileges cultural differences over physical geography but it makes a lot of sense not only today but in pre-Columbian times too.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Yes.   The Continent of North America includes all of Central America.

The dividing line between The Continents of North America and South America is the Southern border of Panama.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lôn
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

No, of course not...they are in CENTRAL America.

• Bob
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

No, I consider countries in Central America to be part of Central America.

• 8 months ago

I don't think about that

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.