How does a pianist keep him/herself motivated and set goals despite the solitary nature of playing the piano?

Those of us who are musicians - or athletes, or dancers, or in any profession or serious undertaking - do what we do because we love it.  We have worked a long time - and often invested a great deal of time and money in acquiring our skills and comprehension of the nuances of what we do.  We sometimes want to share this with others, and sometimes are rewarded from our own personal progress, period.  If it is a major effort to take lessons, or practice, of listen to others or read so that you can learn more - then perhaps this is not for you.  If you are a student, and are overwhelmed with homework, then you have to learn how to manage your time - and health.  If you are one of those students that goes from sport to sport to plays to clubs - and only WANTS to be a good musician, but realistically is not devoting time and attention - then quit.  Every year since I have taught flute privately (since 1973 - and the same with my husband, who teaches piano) we have to *release* students who are just making choices that drown them.  Some had the ability to do better- but were distracted by all the other choices in their lives.  We do not just boot them out - we explain to them and their parents that they have CHOSEN to overfill their schedules - and that music needs daily attention.  We are hardly over-burdening them with piles of literature and demands of HOURS a day; some of these students do not spend even 30-45 minutes a day.  Then they wonder why are not making progress.  There are things in my life, too, that I would like to become proficient at - not an expert, just proficient - but if I am going to continue my long career in music, I place it first.  I leave time for rest and recreation, and all the other things that I must do in my life.  But I "put the big rocks in the box" first.  There were a few years, decades ago, when I quit the flute. I was miserable.  Cleaned up my clock and calendar - and returned with new perspective.

You should play with others!  Accompany singers and instrumentalists, even if it is only east things to read for fun.  Play some chamber music.  Accompany you school chorus.  Join Jazz Band - trust me, you do NOT have to know how to improvise when you start - you can just play in the rhythm section, comping.  Being alone with your instrument 100 percent of the time is dispiriting - so play with others!

• Kathy

For the love of music.

They play and play and practice all the time, and are influenced by all the greats like Bach and Beethoven.

• Nandita2 months agoReport

How often should a good pianist practice, and about how many pieces would they complete in a year?