Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 8 months ago

Planning on adding another SSD, is it worth it to move files/windows from old SSD to the new one?

The new SSD is from Samsung which I imagine is faster/newer than whatever SSD I currently have.

Favorite Answer

I got two SSD's in my system, the original one was a 240GB and the new one is a 480GB. I kept the 240GB as the boot drive, but I had long ago moved my Users folder to a separate HDD, as it was too big to fit in the 240 drive. When I bought the 480 drive, much later when prices had dropped, I moved the Users folder from the HDD it was on, and into the 480, but I didn't make the 480 the boot drive.

The 480 is marginally faster than the older 240, but I can only tell that by running a benchmark which showed a few tests where it beat out the 240. I can't tell any difference between them otherwise.

Both drives are SATA SSD's, but really a bigger performance improvement might be made if you go with an M.2 NVMe SSD. I imagine there might be some tangible performance that can be discerned with that transition. But probably even there, it's only discernible through benchmarks. You won't get that "wow!" performance improvement that going from HDD to SSD got you in the first place.

Clone your drive if it has an Operating system with your data on it, as long as it is going into the same PC and that the drive is the same size or bigger you can do this easily. Norton Ghost 11 is the best ever but there are plenty of alternatives clonezilla is open source and free for you...

• Lv 7

you should REPLACE the slower SSD, not add more.

not sure of the sizes in question, but always best to use ALL fast parts, not one slow and one fast.

If they are both Sata III drives, probably not. If it is NVMe pcie x4, maybe.

• David

Actually the speed of 2.5 SATA SSDs hasn't changed  in the last 5 years  or so. The standard SATA III interface still has a transfer rate of up to 600MB/s. If your  current SSD is SATA I or II then provided your computer has a SATA III interface upgrading to a SATA III SSD will be faster and transferring your files over may benefit otherwise I wouldn't bother. If you are planning to go down the NVMe route then speeds would be faster still although in this case any noticeable improvement tends to be bottlenecked by the rest of the computer

You imagine it's faster just because it's a Samsung? Why don't you bother looking at it while you have your PC torn apart and find out.

Only move important files to your new SSD drive.

• Dort

Marginally better.