Should I change my guitar strings?

So I got this acoustic guitar about 8-9 years ago. I’ve never really used the guitar but I want to give it to my nephew so this may be a dumb question but I know nothing about this stuff so should I get all new strings? Or can I just tune it up? How much will all new strings cost and for someone to change them for me? 

I’ve kept the guitar in a hard case the whole time it’s like new 

If they’re not corroded or whatever,you could probably just leave them. Just tune it. Or go to a music store and have them do it for you.There’s so much online. You can buy the strings online, there’s YouTube tutorials on how to string a guitar, there are online tuners so you can tune the guitar to pitch using your computer or phone. If you go on Amazon, sweetwaters or Musicians Friend (But not their house brand, they suck),  eBay etc, you can get some nice Daddario strings for less than 10 bucks. I think I got for around 7.  Read the reviews of what people like. I got some custom light Daddario strings recently I think it was #J 45 I can’t remember. They got good reviews . They’re pretty nice. If you’re going to restring it yourself just make sure you do it carefully so you don’t break the strings as you’re putting them on. And be careful of the ends of the guitar strings because if they whip into your face they could probably put an eye out or at least seriously scratch a cornea. Go slow. I’m assuming this is a steel strung guitar because those strings I was referring to are for steel string guitar 

It most definitely needs new strings. Most music stores will replace the strings for a minimal charge.

Give him new strings with the guitar and let him change them.....I use gold coated strings form Germany that last a long time myself.....cost $30 but a good $10 will do OK...buy at E-bay or Amazon….

I have guitar string packets from the 1960s that belonged to the older brothers, they probably still work.

• Tony B

Yes it will definitely need new strings after that length of time. The best thing to do is to take it to a music store and ask if they will supply and fit new ones.

it might be a good idea.....

yes you may as well change the strings, they can break after that time. You can pick a new set up for about $10 and up.

• reza

Take it to a local music shop and ask them for advice - maybe even one that specifically teaches guitar classes. They should be able to give you a better answer after looking it over and testing the strings.

• Tommymc

Admirable that you suggest having it looked at, but if the strings haven't been changed in 8 yrs, there's only one answer...they need to be changed.

• Jay

must be a real trash guitar if you go more than 6 months without changing the strings. or you must be a real trash person