Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesFord · 10 months ago

Are mustangs really bad on gas?

This question is for mustang owners. I’m thinking of purchasing a 2012 or 2013 Ford Mustang V6 engine. But what’s holding me back or just got me thinking is the gas, I live in Cali so it’s already gonna suck. But on the average, how much do y’all pay to fill up your tank and when do you fill up? Like once a week? once every other week?

Im telling you to tell me how much Im gonna spend, I meant to say based on YOUR experience, how much do you pay to fill it up and when do you . But based on YOUR experience

I’m not telling you* 

Sorry I type fast and don’t look at my mistakes 

I have a 2016 Mustang GT. Lifetime average is 21.3 MPG, my commute to work is only around 5 miles each day, but there's only one stop light on the router I take, and traffic is typically moving at around 40-45 MPH most of the way. It's actually the most fuel efficient daily driver I've had so far. Before this Mustang I had a 2003 GT that was heavily modified (Kenne Bell, 4.10 gears, exhaust, cobra brakes, suspension, etc.) it got around 18 MPG overall. Before that was a 1995 Bronco that got around 9 MPG. So in my world, 20 MPG overall is pretty thrifty. I also have a 2019 F-150 (4WD/Ecoboost) that gets 19 MPG overall.

A V6 will do better. You should be able to average around 25 MPG without too much trouble (If you live in a metro area like LA, then you're probably going to do worse).

" how much do y’all pay to fill up your tank and when do you fill up?"

Well, I know how to work/exploit Kroger fuel points promotions. As such, I usually pay significantly less for fuel than most people (I've had about 15 fill ups this year that were under $3 (10 cents or less per gallon). But when I fill up without a discount I usually spend around $40-$43 per tank. Which would be around $2.50-$2.60 a gallon for 93 octane lately. Fuel prices change regularly so this is not a very good metric for trying to determine how much you're going to pay.

" when do you fill up? Like once a week? once every other week?"

Typically two or three times a month. But again this is not a very good metric for determining how much you're going to pay.

A better method would be 1. Determine how many miles you drive a week/month and 2. See what the typical fuel economy for the car you're looking at is ( it'll probably be around 20-26 MPG, if you do more city driving it'll be on the lower end, more highway will be on the higher end, with heavy traffic taking a chunk out of it as well). This will tell you roughly how many gallons of fuel you'll have to purchase, multiply that by the cost of fuel in your area and you'll have your answer.

Overall the V6 Mustang isn't particularly bad on fuel overall. It's pretty average

Of course they are. They have huge torquey , high horsepower engines

Camaros, Chargers and Challengers will be alongside you all day long and its drivers will be looking at you.  You will be stepping on the gas and your average fuel consumption will not be average anymore.

Not really the v6 version or the ecoboost probably will get better gas mileage then a suv these days.

The V6 Mustang is bound to get better mileage than the V8 models.

Often Mustang drivers with a V8 like to spin their tires and burn a lot of gas while going nowhere.  How you drive is very very important.

Having a Mustang does not mean that you are going to spend a lot on gas, but it might mean that you have to pay more for insurance to compensate for those who believe in street racing.

A Mustang with a v6 gets about the same MPG as any other car that has equal displacement. The Mustang emblem or name does not mean it is a gas guzzler. EPA says it averages 23 mpg with 30 highway and 19 city. It has a 16 gallon tank. This means to use a tank of gas takes about 368 to use all the way. If you know how many days it takes for you on an average to go 368 miles it will tell you the approximate rate of filling the tank up from empty.

• Ron

it isn't that difficult to research the average mpg of those vehicles. How often one fills up is based on how many miles one drives and how they drive which is different for everyone and does not apply to you

< But on the average, how much do y’all pay to fill up your tank and when do you fill up? Like once a week? once every other week? >

Pointless question without knowing how many miles you expect to drive in a week.

Miles per week / estimate mileage  * $/gal = $ per week.

it is not terrible. Around 19 city and 30 highway. Here's the thing though. If Mileage is entering into the decision making process, just get a Japanese car. 

• John

California emission turned my new '73 SS Nova into a dog. Trump may revoke California emission and the sooner the better.