will my windows 7 computer continue to function after microsoft stops supporting it?

after january, will i be able to continue with my custom built windows 7 desktop pc and use the internet? i love my win 7 pc and don't want to part with it.

a plan i have is to have windows 10 installed on another hard drive in this computer so i have dual operating systems...so i can switch between the two...so i don't have to leave windows 7 behind completely.

any thoughts about this plan?   

and will i be able to continue to go online after january? after microsoft ends support and updates?

It will continue to work fine. I have a couple of computers that run Windows 97 and they run without any problems. Neither have access to the internet so I have no security worries with them.

Ignore the spam troll.

Yes it will still work , however no patches means no security so be careful , you'll likely find once you get used to win 10 you'll be happy with it..

Yes. Your computer will still continue to work after Microsoft stops supporting it.

Windows 7 will continue to function but it will be open to attack because the security updates will stop coming. if it was me I would download the Microsoft Windows 10 media installation tool to my Windows 7 and do the free upgrade while you still can. And if you like Windows 7 simply download the free classic shell. It'll keep your computer looking like Windows 7 but at the same time upgrade the operating system there's just no practical advantage to staying with Windows 7 and having to pay later.

• GTB

You will be able to use it; it will not update; ultimately you may have issues with accessing secured sites

I have XP and I can go online.  However because it is no longer supported means it is open to being super sick with viruses as there is no protection for them.  The AV programs get their updates from Microsoft so when there is no more updates then the AV is dysfunctional.

. Same will happen with Win7.  Some programs refuse to see it anymore as many have quit for me in XP.  It is quite crippled.    You would not want a virus to get in through your Windows7 and mess up the entire computer so that even Win 10 does not work.

.  I never got to experience Win 7   I went from XP to Win 8,1 to win 10.   Have not looked back.  I do have XP on another computer but it is mainly OFF-LINE.   I used it for storing movies I download from Win 10.

It is time to let the old go and die...and move on.

M$ is forcing the older programs to become obsolete.

Malware writers have exploited the holes in the older programs to put in their bugs...and ransomware.   Which is a program that DEMANDS BIG MONEY FROM YOU OR YOUR FILES ARE LOCKED DOWN.   They have done it to British hospitals that still used XP.  No reason why they are not trying to do so on Win7 once support from M$ stops.

• Bill-M

Yes.  You will not receive security updates or program updates.  It will then become a target for hackers.   So make sure you have a good anti virus installed.   I recommend AVG or AVAST (free versions) and Malwarebytes.

Install your own virus checker if you do not have one already.

It’ll work yes, but be very vulnerable to attacks. I wouldn’t sacrifice security that much just because I prefer Windows 7 over 10.