A question about cooking chicken safely?

I was making chicken stew and I fried the chicken in oil with some onion and garlic on high heat. Then I poured cold tap water on the chicken while it was frying. Is it safe to shock the hot chicken like that?

• CB
    Favorite Answer

Absolutely, nothing you can do to a chicken to make it unsafe except under cook it -  and that won't happen if it is being stewed.

• Sondra S2 months agoReport

Thanks for your reply!

You worry me S o n d r a you really do. ;-(

• denise

I dont think it would make a difference to the chicken, as long as your careful of splashing e.t.c.

I usually poach my chicken pieces in stock, to keep the meat tender, and the poaching liqour can be used in the stew.

Adding water to hot grease can cause a lot of steam and possibly splash hot water and grease onto you, but it won’t hurt the chicken.

The safely issue with chicken is having it cooked all the way through, heated to the point where any possible bacteria in the chicken are killed.

No, that's a very dangerous thing to do. It can cause an explosion.

I think the last time the chicken was shocked was when it's head was cut off. 

Pouring cold water on it did nothing but potentially spatter you with hot grease and water.  And maybe warp your pan. 

Your chicken is safe to eat. 

Once the chicken is cooked adding cold water to it isn't going to harm it one little bit