Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthHealth & Well-BeingPain & Pain Management · 2 months ago

How long shall I give an ear infection before going back to doctors ?

I went doctors yesterday he said I’ve got and ear infection and I’ve got jaw ache as well which is what I told the doctor. He gave amoxicillin and naproxen. I took the right amount of doses yesterday and today. My jaw pain is getting better but my ear isn’t, still blocked, sore and itchy. 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

When the fluid behind your eardrum dries up then your eardrum will heal

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Go to urgent care or the ER

• 2 months ago

Hasn't been enough time antibiotics don't work instantly

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's not instant sunshine, antibiotics can take up to 4 days to work, your ear can be inflamed for a few days after that. Have patience.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The antibiotics only go so far and don't work no more and myself like you say with the jaw pain this happen to me and if you had something other in life that happen where you had to take the antibiotics it don't work as well and I did with an infection and I know i'm talking about myself but that infection went in my jaw bone and part was cut out and two teeth was lost and i'm deaf in the right ear some and you should think of this and the thing that happen was I was gaven a shot and the one time a at home pick line with the antibiotics so don't let it get that bad.

• Tavy
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

You must get American, that's negligence.

• 2 months ago

Until Monday, unless you doctor suggested otherwise or you get new symptoms.  It generally takes any antibiotic about 3 days to kick in and kill the bacteria.  It is that bacteria that is causing the inflammation, pain, etc.  

There is always a possibility that you've punctured or ruptured your eardrum.  It happens sometimes with an ear infection even just a cold.  If things are better on Monday (day 4 of your amoxicillin) call your doctor's office.  They'll either tell you to give it a few more days -- until the end of your course of antibiotics, or they'll have you come in to see if something else is going on.  

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

As another said, 3 or four days with really bad infections, before you feel some relief from the antibiotics. If it simply a viral infection, it could be longer and antibiotics will not do anything. I have no idea why they gave you naproxen, you really do not need it for an ear infection.

• ...Show all comments
    • y
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I know excavate what it is and it is not needed for Ibuprofen, where over the counter works just as well

• Linda
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Give it at least 3 or 4 days max before going back in. You may need a stronger antibiotic.

Source(s): History of repeated ear infections
  • 2 months ago

You should go back to the doctors as soon as you can. Just let him/her know what's up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.