Why won't my computer detect my ram?

I recently bought two new sticks of ram to upgrade my computer from 8GB to 32GB. When I installed the two new sticks (crucial ct16g3ersld4160b 16GB DDR3-1600) the computer turned on but refused to boot up. I checked to make sure the sticks were compatible with my motherboard (BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A70U3P) and they were. I decided to reinstall the old ones so I could use my computer only to find out they were already both 16GB. After some confusion I checked BIOS to find that it was only detecting 8GB. Does anyone know how I could fix either issue? The new sticks or the existing ones?

Favorite Answer

Clean connectors...clean slots. Test one stick at a time. Update YOUR BIOS FIRMWARE?!?!

You RAM is not for AMD

exchange it

unplug your computer.

hit the power button on your computer and hold on it for 20 seconds.

put all 32GB of RAM in your computer.

Leave your computer unplugged for 24 hours.

After 24 hours plug your computer in and boot it up and it would recognize it and take advantage of all 32GB. 

Source(s): same thing happened to me.
  • Norm F

The new sticks you are quoting are ECC. Check with the Sticks but you need NON-ECC

try this. see what happens if only one stick is installed. if it boots and reports 8 Gb, then try the other slot. could be that one of the two slots is malfunctioning.

And you also didn't get a CD that would make your computer detect the new RAM??  Last time I did this, the CD came with the RAM.  

Try ro do it one stick in a time.:

1.Insert one stick16GB and turn on pc

2.Turn off PC  and insert second stick 16 GB and turn PC on

i would bring it to a computer store and have them fix it