Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 2 months ago

Should the age of consent be lowered to 12/13?

Humans currently have the longest childhood of any creature in the world. Even longer than animals who live for 200+ years. Should humans become adults sooner? Isn’t the extra 5 years a waste of time?

The question probably sounds creepier than I meant it 😂 It’s not sexual. Genuinely just wondering if humans are children for too long.

I’m not defining childhood as the time before reproduction. Orangutans have the second longest childhood behind humans. They’re childhood lasts for 12 years.

• Foofa

Every study done on early exposure to sex shows that child participants suffer higher than average addiction, self harming and psych problems. So no. There's a reason adults aren't allowed to predate on children.

Good God no!  The 18 year olds are stupid enough as it is these days what with all the commie colleges.  

You mean I could finally fulfill my "sexual orientation" at age 62 and have sex with 12+13 year old girls, FINALLY!! My sexual orientation would be fulfilled like the others claiming theirs.......... It would be final justification for me who've had these feeling and had to suppress my true orientation

no, Jeffery, pedophilia will never be legal in the USA

maybe indonesia, but not in the USA 

now let those kids out of your basement before your sister returns with the national guard 

wow 3 downvotes, we got a lot more pedo fans on here than i thought 

• Zirp

I'm not sure what you're driving at.

No, let children have the time to be children. There's more than enough distraction already. What benefit would there be in burdening them with responsibilities they are not ready for? What use is there in legalising sex with people who haven't even hit puberty?

No. I've never met a 12 or 13 year old capable of emotionally dealing with the feelings that come with being sexually active, much less being financially capable of dealing with pregnancy or having a child, not mature enough to make the informed decision to go though a pregnancy or not (and is yes, whether to keep the resulting child). Not emotionally or financially capable of dealing with sexually transmitted diseases, some of which are incurable. No one should have to take over the financial or decision making burden for them. If they can't handle all possible consequences of sex (that goes for anyone of any age), they shouldn't have sex. 

I don’t see anything wrong with changing it. As soon as you’re a teenager, you become an adult. That would be fine.

Since you seem to be defining "childhood" as time before being able to consent to sexual reproduction, humans do not have the longest childhood of any creature in the world, even animals that live less than 20 years.

Some species of cicadas don't reproduce until they are 17 years old -- and then they die.

Elephants usually don't start to breed until they are 18-20, which is over the age of consent for humans.

Depending on the conditions, some beetles sometimes don't reproduce until they are 20-30 years old, but they usually don't take that long.

No..........................

• zeno

It's complicated. Some kids are as smart as

Adults in many ways but some kids are very

Very slow and need more years to grasp the

Financial consequences of sexual relationships.

They lock guys into slavery paying for the girl

And kids she makes the rest of his life. Boys

Need time to grasp the big picture and girls

Need to manage their baby making equipment

And prevent pregnancies until that baby is

Wanted and will be loved and taken care of.

The majority of 12/13/14/15/16/17/18 are

Not ready or financially able to raise kids

Or guide them into adulthood. Guys should

Wait until they can support themselves financially before dating or getting serious with a

Girl. Girls should also wait until they are

More emotionally grounded and less entitlement

Minded and more self sufficient. It takes a lot

To get yourself ready to be good parents or

Have kids.